 Space / 24746
Re: There can be only one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 16:25:16 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dan Mattia wrote:
-snip-
The reason I do not post my MOCs is not because they are CAD or
microfig, but because it is a waste of time to post.  I know I'll get maybe
one or two replies, so therefore I don't waste my time.  I {have} proven
this.

Sheesh!  I am just a Lugnet Lurker. I read posts, I look at cool MOCs by others,
I play in LDRAW (MLCAD actually, but gotta give props to James Jessiman), I
rarely ever finish a MOC.  But I am _SO TIRED_ of reading whiny posts like this.
If your purpose for posting pics of a MOC is to get your
ego stroked, I can't tell you how sad I feel for you.

Maybe Todd & Suzanne could figure out a way to mark posts that have links to
Brickshelf pics, and those that don't.  Then I can avoid the whining.  Or maybe
I'll just cruise the Brickshelf galleries...

-snip-
Some well-known "insider" posts something about a Fleebnork, but
when a "newbie" posts a real great ship, it is either ignored or hardly
replied to. This is why the newbie will eventually stop posting their MOCs.

Um, it's called a "relationship."  The "Old-timers" have a relationship built up
with each other.  They can tell when someone is kidding, when someone is
serious.  They even have "inside jokes."  Too many folks here seem to get their
feelings hurt by constructive criticism, or worse, a tounge-in-cheek jibe.  So,
the way I see it, unless person A has built up a posting relationship with
person B, they're probably not even going to acknowledge the new MOC.  Or worse,
you get a flood of "Cool, dude!" posts.  Again, if that's what you're here for,
I feel for you.

A 13 year old, such as myself, can have as much talent as Dan
Jassim or Mark Sandlin has.  However, younger teens are not always allowed to
have jobs in certain states, therefore cannot buy enough LEGO to make
something as large or as good as an older person.

So?  You don't have to have Lego to create with Lego.  You have a computer,
right?  Most of my MOCs are for my eyes only, built in MLCAD.  I use the limited
pieces I have to figure out what works, how things go together, then build it in
the colors I like.  Here's one I did a couple of years ago.
I did it as a mental exercise. I don't have all these pieces, but I still made
the MOC.  I posted an announcement somewhere.  Did anyone reply?  I don't
remember, and I don't really care.  Maybe some day I'll post more of my stuff to
Brickshelf, but I don't build for anyone else but me (and my kids).

James Wilson,
Dallas, TX