 Space / 24723
Re: There can be only one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:03:59 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dan Mattia wrote:

Either way, this thing has gotten to where the ‘hierarchy’ of Lugnet, the original members, have established this ‘little world’ in where there are many pics and an established rank. To the new ones, be it new as in year new or month new, they are, well, left out. Ive been ignored sometimes, as have others I know, and i admit its turned me off of posting.

I’ve used to think there was an evil cabal of old-timers who sat in judgment on projects, and refused to comment on anything by a newbie. Until I made so many cool projects that they couldn’t ignore me. But for every jerkoff who refuses to come down of the mountain and grace you with his comments, you have an encouraging guy like Eric Sophie, Gil Shaw, George Haberberger, and many others who always has a kind word to say about new talent. Also, the rank thing is just a bunch of meaningless crap. There is definetly a old-boys club kind of feeling to lugnet, which I encountered in person at Brickswest. Its not an evil cabal, just a microcosm of society... the arrogant, the open hearted, the comic and the cruel. I wouldn’t take it too seriously. All are in the end, welcome.

As have I. The reason I do not post my MOCs is not because they are CAD or microfig, but because it is a waste of time to post. I know I’ll get maybe one or two replies, so therefore I don’t waste my time. I have proven this.

I think alot of the reply thing has to do with timing. What other projects are recently announced, what time of week-month-year, and presentation. That said, even a cool project like my buddy Ryan’s can go ignored with seemingly no reason. I think everyone gets burned by a mysterious lack of response every once in a while.

   Maybe I’m wrong, Maybe there is no hierarchy, but it seems that little accomplishments by these ‘old dudes’ make more headlines then huge accomplishments by unknown dudes, like myself.

You are right about that... a guy with a reputation can post a 2x2 brick snapped onto a treasure chest, and it will get 30 replies. “Brilliant, you’ve done it again!” “Kudos!”

I concur. Some well-known “insider” posts something about a Fleebnork, but when a “newbie” posts a real great ship, it is either ignored or hardly replied to. This is why the newbie will eventually stop posting their MOCs.

Ah.. but this is where the newbie makes his mistake... you must continue to post, to flood the site with your greatness. Eventually, you will get the kudos you deserve. I have known the highs and lows of responces, and I think its a matter of time and number of projects. You have to earn a reputation. I’m still waiting for my membership card into the evil cabal.

   This is my opinion, and I’ll prolly get in trouble one way or another for it. I hate tho how younger kids (e.g JHK, me, Dan, any other people who I didn’t name) are viewed as babies and apparently ‘unworthy’ of claim to others. Like it or not, thats the way LUGNET’s started to become.

No... its always been like that. I really don’t think its confined to young people. I’m an old man, and they pretty much excluded me when I first started posting. I think its just a natural group-mentality exclusion of newcomers, even in the friendliest site on the internet.

Yes it has. A 13 year old, such as myself, can have as much talent as Dan Jassim or Mark Sandlin has. However, younger teens are not always allowed to have jobs in certain states, therefore cannot buy enough LEGO to make something as large or as good as an older person.

Wow, I had no idea you are 13. Scary to think of all the things you will build in the future. You may shake the pillars of lugnet. I agree that size of collection is the biggest drawback of youth, unless you are one of those hated rich-kids! I reccomend that if your collection is too small, begin shoplifting, armed robery, and if necessary, lego-truck hijacking.

   The LUGNet hierarchy should not be classified by age, but by the way the builder builds. It feels good, I admit, if an “insider” replies to your MOC post, because it makes you feel noticed. But if no one replies, not even fellow newbies, it decreases your morale. Even if you have a great MOC but a lower morale thanks to lack of replies, you don’t want to post.

Don’t let your morale be determined by the people on lugnet. If there is a builder who’s work you really admire, maybe ask for his (or her) opinion directly. Or take your stuff to mocpages, where they have a more user friendly rating system.

   It’s one of its only drawbacks, but that seems to be the case. So, now I dip back into my life and out of Lego for awhile...

How dramatic! You forget, my friend, lego is life. You can’t really ever leave it.

-Keith