 Space / 24710
Re: There can be only one
Newsgroups:
lugnet.space
Date:
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 01:52:32 GMT

In lugnet.space, Dan Mattia wrote:
   Yes it has. A 13 year old, such as myself, can have as much talent as Dan Jassim or Mark Sandlin has. However, younger teens are not always allowed to have jobs in certain states, therefore cannot buy enough LEGO to make something as large or as good as an older person.

The size of a collection or a MOC has no relevance on the number of replies it receives...People respond to posts of unique, interesting models that look cool or do cool things. You can’t expect everyone to get excited over yet another small fighter or microfig ship that looks pretty much the same as something posted by a different person the day/week/month before. Mladen Pejic, Kyle Keppler, JHK and some other teens who frequent this group don’t have large collections, yet they have put together some amazing MOCs.

Taking good photographs of your MOCs really helps too. If I can’t see what your MOC is supposed to be, I’m not going to comment on it. I realize that a good camera can be expensive. I too started out sharing all my creations through CAD renderings. If that is the only way you can share your MOCs, spend some time figuring out how to create good renderings. It’s a bit time consuming, but the results will be worth the effort.

IMO, the main reason ‘old-timers’ might get more responses is because people short on time (ie, most adults with jobs and many students) skim the newsgroups quickly for names they recognize and associate with quality MOCs. They might skip over other posts, especially if they link to unmoderated Brickshelf galleries with no deep-links to pics. Blurry or enormous pictures are not worth the time they take to download.

I hope that helps...
--Bram

   Bram Lambrecht
www.bldesign.org