 Robotics / RCX / *1455 (-100)
  IDE using Forth ?

How about a Forth based environment running on the PC? It would not be that difficult to move the RCX based compiler to be a cross compiler on the PC. One would be able to run in two modes - "native" through a Forth based terminal (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

(...) After spending another two nights with NQC & RcxCC (:-), another wish came up in my mind quite clearly: I use the "Watching the RCX" tool window quite frequently for debugging, and I'd find it great if it could display the *names* of the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

How about a more generalized interface to the pbForth system. Although Ralph Hempel believes this to be unnecessary, I find the RcxCC interface quite appealing. Harald Striepe (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RE: Thought on pbForth

(...) Wow! Great company indeed! (...) This would be a good idea, and one day, pbForth will get there. I used to ship a Tcl based shell with pbForth, but it wasn't working well on all platforms. Here's why pbForth is the way it is, and forgive the (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) Yes. It is important to realise, that the RCX, does not perhaps do the interpretation in the way you think. In each 'loop', it executes one instruction from each of the possible threads, and also reads the A-D's, on each sensor, and updates to (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Thought on pbForth

Ralph, This is something that has been bothering me about pbForth ever since you developed it... please do not take this as an attack against you or your efforts. I do, in fact, truly believe that you have contributed significantly to RCX (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  RE: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

Ben jackson wrote... (...) Yes, that's why pbForth is "almost ANSI" which means that it is as close to standard ANSI Forth as I could get. And PS is NOT Forth, it is Forth-like. (...) That just adds about 4 items to a datalog, (once every 256 loops, (...) (25 years ago, 2-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) OK, I did some basic timing experiments....for pbForth. : TEST1 10000 0 DO LOOP ; \ This is a hard loop of 10000 iterations : TEST2 10000 0 DO I DROP LOOP ; \ Same loop except the loop index is put on the \ stack and dropped - a no-op (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

(...) Check out pbForth too! I will get around to doing some basic loop timing if you ask me nicely and tell me what kinds of test would be useful to do! pbForth is ready to run right out of the box, there is no compiler to mess with, and it's fun (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Speed of RCX interpreting bytecodes: slow

While working on the barcode scanner I decided to see just how fast the RCX could loop. A simple NQC program can do about 1000 counter loop iterations in about 100 ticks, or 1 iteration/ms. This is shockingly slow. The native H8/329 is clocked at (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

(...) Thanks, Mark, for providing this wonderful environment. I would like to echo a previous request for remembering last-used source-file paths between sessions. Also, how about letting RccxCC "host" alternative line editors? (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC

(...) First of all, thanks a lot for making RcxCC. I'm a newbie (owning my RIS since X-mas), but I already love NQC and RcxCC. There's just one little feature that I missed: remembering the last-used path for source files between sessions. Ah yes, (...) (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RcxCC with NQC 2.1

Hi, does anybody know why RcxCC can't spawn NQC 2.1 b1? Is there a trick to do it (other than waiting for the next version of RcxCC)? Uwe (25 years ago, 1-Jan-00, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: USB->Serial Converts and IR Tower

(...) The Keyspan PDA adaptor (www.keyspan.com) works just fine with an apple and/or the VirtualPC on the apple. Dw (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

Ram Meenakshisundaram <rmeenaks@olf.com> wrote in message news:386CCBC8.270472...olf.com... (...) Entrega's hubs with serial ports or the U1S9 work great IF you download the latest drivers (just got mine working this morning!) from Entrega. Barbara (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: USB->Serial Converts and IR Tower

(...) Wow. I am suprised Belkin doesnt work. Their products are really good. I never heard of Peracom. I know that Lego claims that "it worked for some users", but I wanted to stick with brand-names that I was familar with. Does anyone know if Lego (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: USB->Serial Converts and IR Tower

Somewhere on the Mindstorms site, I found a reference to the Peracom adapter. I have not tried it, but I did buy a Belkin USB Hub with a serial port and I know that the Belkin doesn't work. Scott (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Connecting Via a USB Hub

I have a USB Hub with an RS-232 port. When I connect the IR Transmitter to this port, the firmware downloads fine. If I have a program with a single RCX command block, it's fine too. If I have more than one command block, I get a download error. Any (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  USB->Serial Converts and IR Tower

Hi, I only have one serial port on my PC and it is currently hooked up to an external modem (PC slots are precious to me). So, I was planning on using an USB->Serial converter. Can anyone recommend a brand that has been proven to work with the IR (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  RE: pbForth problems

(...) It's working just fine. If the LCD says "4th", then the firmware is in place, now all you need is a terminal set to 2400,n,8,1 By the way, this kind of question should be on the lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth heirarchy... Cheers, Ralph Hempel - (...) (25 years ago, 31-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Can't open serial port in Linux

(...) Currently there isn't any notion of an "error code" from the serial port class - opening the serial port just returns true/fals. I'm wary of adding error codes here because they'd need to be added in a portable manner (and across the Unix, (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  barcode reader for RCX (was: how does a bar code reader work?)

(...) Well, I tried this, and it's hopeless. The RCX can't poll the sensor nearly fast enough, and even if it could you'd need a lens to focus the sensor better. (...) Instead of using my idea, I took the suggestion of someone else and just used a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Can't open serial port in Linux

Hi. I just got through fixing a similar problem with my linux box (the fix involved a lot of tedious changing IRQ's in the BIOS, with a lot of tedious rebooting in between). Beyond Dave's good advice, you might want to check out the linux serial (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  RCX as TV remote?

Hi, all. I just got an RIS for Christmas, and I've been happily alternating between hacking on it and lurking here and at the various Lego sites on the web. Yippee, legos! Ahem. I've been interested in the possibilities of using my Palm IIIe as a (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.palm)

  Re: differences between 9719 and 9747?

Hi, Note that if you get the RIS 1.0 -> RIS 1.5 upgrade (costs $25.00, but free if you bought your RIS 1.0 after August), it includes the 60 missing pieces, additional CD, manuals, and test pads. Plus the RIS 1.0 has the AC adapter while the RIS 1.5 (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: differences between 9719 and 9747?

(...) Here are the differences in parts. They are alse some differences in manual and software, but I don't know them. New parts in set 9747 (Mindstorms 1.5), not in set 9719 (Mindstorms 1.0) Count Part # Part Color 4 3794 1x 2 plate, 1 stud Gray (...) (25 years ago, 30-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Installation of pbForth 1.11 Problems

Last night I tried to install pbForth 1.11 with nqc (2.02). It beeped like it was installed and "4th" was displayed on the screen, but I could not turn it off. I had to take out the batteries to get it to turn off, but by then, the pbForth was gone. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: touch sensors - two at a time ?

(...) The problem you are having, is that the processor is much faster than a human being... The code will allways tend to see one sensor befor the other, because of the processors speed, unless you can hit them together to within a very few mSec. (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll

Has anyone experienced the RCX "locking up" when trying to use dll? When I try to download a .lx file with dll, the brick freezes. It won't respond to any buttons and I have to take the batteries out and re-load the firmware. Any ideas why this is (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Can't open serial port in Linux

Check the permissions on /dev/ttyS1. I think the default is for it to be locked down to superuser only. If this is the case, then running nqc from a normal user account would cause the error you got. You'll need read/write rights to /dev/ttyS1 in (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Problems with legOS-0.2.2 on Windows 95

Hi, I followed the instructions on (URL) install legOS-0.2.2 on my Windows 95 PC. I downloaded all the files, installed the packages, and modified the makefiles. And was finally ready to compile, the results of the compilation is shown below... (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: touch sensors - two at a time ?

(...) It's not a race condition, strictly speaking. It's more of a data sampling error. If you run that it a tight loop you will test the sensors hundreds or thousands of times a second. In order to see a simultaneous press you'd have to hit them at (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: touch sensors - two at a time ?

(...) If I understand your problem correctly, it has nothing to do with legOS specifically. Therefore, I will answer, even though I have no experience with legOS. The problem is, there is a very small amount of time where, while you're pushing on (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  touch sensors - two at a time ?

I'm trying to build a sensor apparatus at the front of my bot, and it works, mostly. It's made up as a pair of touch sensors. The idea being that if one is activated, it turns around slightly, to avoid the sensor, but if both are activated, we (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Can't open serial port in Linux

I'm having some troubles downloading to the RCX in Linux, I have RXC_PORT set to /dev/ttyS1, which is the correct serial port, and then I run nqc and get: [brian@magic bin]$ ./nqc -d ../test.nqc Downloading Program:error Could not open serial port (...) (25 years ago, 29-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  firmware upload with NQC...

first off, i'm using NQC with Linux. when i try to upload the firmware image from the MindStorms CD-ROM, i get the following: [kjs@localhost nqc_lnx_2_0_2]# ./nqc -firmware ../FIRM0309.LGO Downloading firmware:... Problem talking to IR device the (...) (25 years ago, 27-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: R2D2 and RCX : the LEGO official stuff is online

Hi, I've created PDF files for building instructions for - R2D2 / RCX - Battle Droid from legomindstorms.com html files, but I don't know if I can legally put them available for everybody on my web site ? Any ideas ? (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  R2D2 and RCX : the LEGO official stuff is online

Look at (URL) , LEGO has posted detailled build instructions and programs to do this, certainly better I did at (URL) ! Christophe (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: FSMs, coding techniques and other goodies

As we say in Vermont: Ayup! Finite State Machine(s) (25 years ago, 24-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: FSMs, coding techniques and other goodies

OK I'm guessing, but does FSM = finite state machine ? (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: R2D2 (DDK) with RCX : 2nd Look

Hi Everybody, The R2D2 beta2 version is online, with : - two touch sensors - one light sensor in its turning head Please forget the last URL, go directly to : (URL) : (URL) a nice day/night, - Christophe - (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.robotics)

  Solaris & legOS

Hi, I am new to legOS and I want to try to use solaris as the legOS platform. What is the current status of legOS running under Solaris?? Anyone successful with it?? So far, I got the latest version of GCC & binutils compiled and got legOS 0.2.3 (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) The timers run at 1/10 sec, but granularity for "waiting" a task is 1/100 sec. The PWM used for motor output has granularity of 1/1000 sec. Dave Baum p.s. I hope it wasn't my book that stated 1/10 and 1/1000 - if so could you e-mail me the (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?

I haven't looked at programming the RCX with Visual Basic or other MS Win languages via the spirit.ocx control, but someone (sorry -- I'm terrible with remembering names!) at the NELUG meeting asked me why people seem to like NQC when they could be (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos)

  Re: RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

(...) It is 1/10 of a second for the timers. However, in case you don't know. The RCX's Motor ports PULSE their signal. They always put out the same voltage. At level 8 it's 100% at level 4 it's an even on/off. I use it for my trains and it's great. (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  RCX onboard timer and motor pulsing

Hi All, Since I am and train head I don't read .RCX (this topic might be well exhausted) I just read thru a third party book on the RCX and in one place he said the timer granularity in 1/10 sec and in another it was 1/1000 sec. My goal is to pulse (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.trains)

  R2D2 (DDK) with RCX : First Look

Hi all, I'm glad to introduce you a first draft/beta R2D2/DDK with an RCX done tonight. You can have a look at (URL) Quite Perfect (NQP :-), but I think it can be a good way to do something nice for all of us, and get it as an idea start something (...) (25 years ago, 23-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Roboarm.nqh

(...) I'm glad you're enjoying the book. Not including more information about where to put include files was definitely an oversight - I'll update the book's web pages when I get a chance. Dave (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Roboarm.nqh

I was using the RcxCC program. I put the nqh file in the RcxCC directory and everything worked fine. Thanks for the information. By the way, I am really enjoying your book. I hope everyone gets a chance to read and use it. -- Bob Fay (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  LegoSub using a Mars Robotic Extension : Is it a Joke ?

Hello, Just saw today, please check : (URL) seems they've created a real submarine robot including the camera from the Exploration Mars set ! As I know, this set (Mars) isn't available... Christophe (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Roboarm.nqh

(...) The idea behind including files is that it allows a common set of definitions and/or functions to be shared by multiple programs. NQC by default searches the current directory for any include files. It is also possible to specify a search path (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Roboarm.nqh

I am working my way through Dave Baums' Mindstorm book and I have lost my way regarding the #include command. The roboarm1.nqc program calls for roboarm.nqh to be included. The program will not compile because it "cannot open roboarm.nqh". Some (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: A Motor as a Sensor? An idea

Carsten Müller <spirou@jumper.org> wrote in message news:3860FCDF.80682D...per.org... (...) Yes. This idea has come up many times. Try searching lugnet.robotics for generator or similar words. RCX Sensors and Input = (URL) G. (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

Well, i'm still looking to find out what might go wrong. Fixing the sigio handler is of no use as cygwin doesn't send sigio's when data arrives at a serial port. Peter (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  A Motor as a Sensor? An idea

Hi, yesterday i played around with the View Button and with different Sensors. And than I pluged a Motor (in this case a generator) to the Sensor input. If the motor was not turned, the Sensor Reading was '4'. If turned (forward) the reading (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Transmission Problems

(...) After doing a bit of debugging, I have determined it's all characters between 127-255, most often 127 or 255. If anyone has any ideas on what's causing this, please reply... (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) I hadn't fixed that - but it doesn't appear to make a difference. I patched both the original sources and the post-WINNT-specific-patches, but no change in behavior: the RCX answers are never heard using the original sources, and the (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) i dont´t know if you have already fixed this, anyways, there is a bug in sigio_handler. The struct timeval last is used uninitialized and should be static. Today i sent the following little patch to Markus. ------- schnips schnips -------- --- (...) (25 years ago, 22-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Tasks in RCX

(...) <chuckle> 10 seems like a small number (yes its limited by the firmware) until you try to use them all. In my experience only email and webserver type applications kick off more than 4 or 5 threads at once. DLC (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Tasks in RCX

Hi, I read somewhere that the RCX is limited to only 10 concurrent tasks. Is this limitation in the firmware? If so, can I use a replacement firmware like legOS to overcome this. I basically want to have an unlimited number of tasks so that I can (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) Hey -- More info about this odd bug. Installed 0.2.3, and the bug is still there. A bit more tweaking revealed: * Compiling with the original (.orig, pre-patch versions of loader, lx, and rcxtty) yielded - after changing O_ASYNC to FASYNC - (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

(...) Well I can't say I have the RCX plugged in when I'm running a vehicle, I *ALWAYS* have it plugged in when it's not in use. I've actually only had to replace the batteries in it once in the past year. Removing the jack was a mistake, IMO... As (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

I was talking more in a sense of replacement/repair of damaged units. I would not be surprised if the retail price of each starts to change with shifts in demand. And due to the "apparently common" replacement of the brick with AC, that would have (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Yes RIS 1.5 costs $20 MORE than RIS1.0. It's a good thing I bought 9 RIS 1.0 and the 1.5 upgrade ;-) (...) -- | Tom Stangl, Technical Support Netscape Communications Corp | Please do not associate my personal views with my employer (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Even if it was $0.20 by the time it is productized it is maybe $1.00. Multiply this by the quantity sold and you just save ~$500,000 (whatever the quantity is). When designing computer mother boards there will be large debates over $0.05 BOM (bill (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

(...) savings (...) Well, lets think, a rectification bridge, a voltage regulator, and an external power connector. In 'trade' quantities, you are talking well under 50 cents (probably more like 20 cents). If Lego are paying much more than this for (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

If there is a "cost" issue between the 1.0 and 1.5, Has anyone seen the savings passed on to the buyers? Probably too mutch to ask.... ;-) -Rich (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

(...) Despite the fact that a lot of people here use wall power, I think that CA is probably right in that the vast majority of mindstorms robots are vehicles. Ah well. Something for "Dear Lego".... (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: random() compile problems

(...) Yes, it looks like random is in a private library of mine, sorry. With all the exciting networking development happening, count on 0.2.4 being released soon, it will contain random() again. (...) For small amounts of random numbers, you may (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Uhhhh, gee, I just used some extra-long wires I got from Dacta to extend the console over to next to the couch, and plugged it in there ;-) But yeah, I want to get a couple of IR remotes too, for when I take an 8448 to work, and for my future train (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Steven and Rogers just make sure that when you use the jack on the RCX use an adapter that LEGO makes like the one that comes with the train controller. This one is also designed for the RCX. A while back this information was posted on lugnet. Do a (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

sebarile-MOBL <steve.e.barile@intel.com> wrote in message news:Fn2CqL.AHF@lugnet.com... (...) That is one bad corner to cut! I use a jack sometimes, batteries more often though. I was just laying on the couch the other day thinking I needed a (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: random() compile problems

(...) Hi Matthew, it lokks like the functions are simply not defined neither in the legOS kernel nor in the libs. Following the comment in include/stdlib.h, they should be in libiberty.a, which is somewhere in the cross-compiler tree. However, (...) (25 years ago, 21-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Consumer Affairs told me that after talking to many focus groups that they decided it was not used and thus cut for cost savings again (standard good corp practice)... and good for them, it seems like they need to cut some corners to stay in (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Transmission Problems

Hello. I am using legOS-990330 with the transmission handler patch. I have no problems receiving at all, but periodically strange nonsensical data somehow inserts itself into the output stream with no apparent reason, like ~..y~~ Does anybody know (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

(...) This is the big 'down side' of the 1.5. The computers themselves are identical, and you can run 1.5 software on the older brick. For the educational market (dacta stuff), Lego are still supplying all the units with the jacks. The suggestion is (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Steve, and anyone else interested, There should be another way to power the RCX, but I'm not sure if you can get the stuff to do it anymore. (if TLG is replacing them with the old stock 'with a good reason' then that is the best way to go) You used (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Powering trains w/ RCX

Steve, AFAIK, the two RCX versions are identical, apart from the power jack that is. Regards, Arjen "sebarile-MOBL" <steve.e.barile@intel.com> wrote in message news:Fn1xFt.H1C@lugnet.com... (...) you (...) of (...) it (...) Is (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Powering trains w/ RCX

Hi All, I just got a Mindstorms 1.5 and the RCX does *NOT* have an AC jack! So if you plan to power the rails from a stationary location, plan on having a lot of batteries or a rechargable battery setup... I called LEGO Consumer Affairs and they are (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  pbForth 111 is released

After too many delays, I have finally released the latest pbForth. You can find out about it at: (URL) Remember to hit refresh so that you get the new page with the new links, not the old one! Have fun on the holidays. Here's what's new: Notes for (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx.pbforth)

  Re: Can't compile test.nqc

(...) There is very little difference in the compiler itself between 1.0 mode and normal mode. Most of the changes are due to a new API file that is included (rcx_nqh.h). If something went wrong with building this file, that may cause a crash. To (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  Re: Droid Developer Kit and RCX ???

(...) I modified the original R2-D2 model to use the Scout. As the Scout is just the same size of th RCX, you might want to have a look at my creature. You can find it at the Italian Lego Users Group site (URL) worry, text in English). The site uses (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Can't compile test.nqc

Hi, I have been trying to compile NQC (2.0.2) with the watcom compiler under QNX and succeded partialy. I can now compile the test.nqc from version 1.3 in backward compatibility mode (bin/nqc -1 testv1.nqc). But I can't compile the new test.nqc (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc)

  random() compile problems

Hi all, We are having troubles compiling code that makes use of the random() (and srandom()). The error messages that occour when we compile are: undefined reference to '_srandom' undefined reference to '_random' Any help will be greatly (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  linux-lnp: select() vs. SIGIO ( was Re: Call for debugging support )

(...) Uuh, there was a little bug in my test program. Once again, i learned i have to read gcc´s warnings carefully. On linux, select() suffers exactly the same thing as SIGIO. If the hardware fifo of the uart is enabled, and there is a stream of (...) (25 years ago, 20-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Exploration Mars missing?

(...) Absolutely. Together with the long delays on delivery dates, and the mysterious 'disappearance' that has now taken place, this makes a product that is exactly in this spirit... (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Sound patch for 0.2.3

As somebody painted out today, the frequency settings for PITCH_Gm2 through PITCH_Am3 (or 23-37) are erroneous. I copied and pasted these from Martin's "Wir sind die Roboter" demo, which seems to be in error, too. A patch to alleviate the problem is (...) (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  legOS-0.2.3 released

Hello everyone, legOS-0.2.3 is out and available at (URL) for legOS-0.2.3: ---...--- * Better rotation sensor handling via state tables. * Sound driver to play sequences of notes. * Improved packet retransmit handling for program downloads. * (...) (25 years ago, 19-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Exploration Mars missing?

(...) I feel sure there's an opportunity for a really bad joke here, but my hangover is getting in the way... Cheers, Ben. -- SECURE HOSTING AT THE BUNKER! (URL) grandfather once told me that there are two kinds of people: those who work and those (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Droid Developer Kit and RCX ???

Hi everybody, Did someone here already included a RCX in the Droid Developer Kit ? - Christophe - Got today a 2nd RCX and a DDK for my son :-) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Problem with downloading large LX files in legOS (patch)

Hi Frank, (...) Did you try changing end-of-packet timing? This may be due to ringing in the receiver, or any sort of analogue issue. This may also be the reason why LEGO is using complement bytes ;-) (...) Yes, this is what I meant to happen. (...) (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Call for debugging support

Hello Martin, pthreads and select sound fairly portable. And, as I mentioned before, there's a way of having Windows dispatch asynchronous serial events to programs, so work on porting would be fairly localized. The library approach has one serious (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: Exploration Mars missing?

(...) I would assume that this is so that the US version can use imperial units and the European one can use metric. This would truly allow us to emulate the true spirit of exploring Mars! Cheers, Steve (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Exploration Mars missing?

(...) Exploration Mars, is visible on the European catalogue. However I tried to order it the other day, and the lady at Lego, said that the European release had 'officially' happened, but as yet they had no stock. The US version has a different CD, (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Exploration Mars missing?

I think I heard some rumblings about sometime early in 2000 for Exploration Mars, but couldn't remember where to confirm or even if this was official. Not much help really. What's more important is - what is going to be in it when it is finally (...) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: Exploration Mars missing?

(...) It was planned, and never happened. (As of yet, at least.) (25 years ago, 18-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Exploration Mars missing?

Hi, Using RIS 1.5. It looks as if at some day Exploration Mars was an optional expansion kit. Don't seem to be able to buy it anymore, any experience with it? Regards, Bert. (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) The original loader.c doesn't compile, due to O_ASYNC (and other stuff) - worked around in the patch for Windows folks. No help there ... I did some poking and experimentation, and here's a tad more info: - The "Invalid argument" error happens (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Re: (Failed) Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows

(...) The original loader.c doesn't compile, due to O_ASYNC (and other stuff) - worked around in the patch for Windows folks. No help there ... I did some poking and experimentation, and here's a tad more info: (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

  Getting LegOS 0.2.2 working on Windows (Oddities)

To Peter, Luis, and everybody else who put together the LegOS-on-Windows installation instructions: bravo! In most ways, everything worked perfect -- and on a Windows 2000 laptop, no less! There are, however, two glitches: 1 - When I run firmdl3 on (...) (25 years ago, 17-Dec-99, to lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact