 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 612
611  |  613
Subject:
RCX as TV remote?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, lugnet.robotics.palm
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 16:56:07 GMT

Hi, all.  I just got an RIS for Christmas, and I've been happily
alternating between hacking on it and lurking here and at the various
Lego sites on the web.  Yippee, legos!

Ahem.  I've been interested in the possibilities of using my Palm IIIe
as a remote for the RCX, and whilst investigating the possibilities I
came across the OmniRemote software for Palm-Pilots.  It struck me that
since the RCX also has an inrared transmitter, it could concievably be
made to send commands to a VCR, TV, or what have you.

So I have a few questions.  It's my understanding that LegOS has much
better low-level control over the IR port than the standard RIS firmware.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming that to develop things
like the LNP you would need such control.

Given that, I'm curious for people's opinions about what the likelyhood
of getting the RCX to send the appropriate signals to a VCR are.  Easy?
Difficult?  Could some sort of "training mode" a la OmniRemote be achieved?
(This is where OmniRemote records or analyses the signals from your TV
remote in order to be able to duplicate them later, thus acting as a remote).

Along the same lines, would it be easier in LegOS to interface a Palm's
IR signal to the RCX?  Would it be feasible to set up an IrDA stack under
LegOS (the protocol Palms use)?  From my understanding, and from some of
the informative posts I've read in lugnet.robotics.palm, the main
difficulty is that the RCX uses a proprietary format to communicate to
the IR tower.  If LegOS can make it talk differently, maybe Palms would
be better able to understand...

(BTW, I'm afraid I haven't RTFS to get this information for myself yet,
although I'm going to do so shortly. I'd like to try out a project or
two along these lines, though at the moment I know next to nothing about
IR communication, Palm internals, or how LegOS and the 8300 work.)

TIA... Tim