 Robotics / RCX / legOS / 611
Re: touch sensors - two at a time ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos
Date:
Wed, 29 Dec 1999 16:34:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics.rcx.legos, John P. Looney writes:
I'm trying to build a sensor apparatus at the front of my bot, and it works,
mostly.

It's made up as a pair of touch sensors. The idea being that if one is
activated, it turns around slightly, to avoid the sensor, but if both are
activated, we should take more drastic action.

However, I tried to do something like

if (SENSOR1 < 0xf000 && SENSOR3 < 0xf000) { both }
else if (SENSOR1 < 0xf000) { just one }
else if (SENSOR3 < 0xf000) { just one }
else { All is OK }

However, if I touch both sensors at the same time, it just accepts one, then
the other. I suppose it's a race condition of some sort. Any ideas how to sort
this out ?

Also, apart from www.legoworldshop.com, is there anywhere I can buy add on
bricks & RCXs ? They are pretty expensive there!!!
The problem you are having, is that the processor is much faster than a human
being...
The code will allways tend to see one sensor befor the other, because of the
processors speed, unless you can hit them together to within a very few mSec.
Two solutions exist:
1) Start a timer when one sensor is touched, and accept the other if you are
within a small time interval.
2) If you _only_ really want to see both sensors, try 'wire anding' the
sensors. There are details of how to do this on the web, and this only needs
one input (saving a precious resource...).
3) Do the test using a 'and'. So it becomes if((SENSOR3<0xf000) &&
SENSOR1<0xf000)).

Best Wishes