 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 312
Re: Can't open serial port in Linux
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 21:35:52 GMT

In article <FnKK9A.38z@lugnet.com>, "Tim Gilbert" <_spoon_@yahoo.com> wrote:

It also gives better error messages than NQC does. I'm trying to see
if I can make NQC a little better in this regard; if so I'll send a
patch to Dave. (Hi Dave).

Cheers, Tim

Currently there isn't any notion of an "error code" from the serial port
class - opening the serial port just returns true/fals.  I'm wary of
adding error codes here because they'd need to be added in a portable
manner (and across the Unix, Mac, and Win implementations).    I'm not
flat-out against it...I just don't want to rush into things without
considering portability.

If you have a proposal for the type of error codes you'd like to see
coming from the serial class, let me know.  If they make sense across all
platforms, we can add it to the generic interface.  If they are too
platform specific, then perhaps we push the whole thing into the
individual implementations (e.g. each would remember a "last error" and
this could be extracted as a C-string).

Dave

--
reply to: dbaum at enteract dot com