 Robotics / RCX / NQC / 317
Re: What should be in the next version of RcxCC
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics.rcx.nqc
Date:
Sun, 2 Jan 2000 18:01:50 GMT

Mark Overmars wrote:

Dear RcxCC users,

I am running out of ideas of what to add to Rcx Command Center. So I like to
ask you what you like to see next. Please be as specific as you can....

After spending another two nights with NQC & RcxCC (:-), another wish came up in
my mind quite clearly:

I use the "Watching the RCX" tool window quite frequently for debugging, and I'd
find it great if it could display the *names* of the traced variables instead of
only their number.
So, I have two suggestions for a next version of RcxCC:

Either
(a) display the variable names in the "Watching the RCX" window

or (if the above is too difficult)

(b) please simply make it easier to inspect the "TEMP.LST" file manually (this
file contains the mapping between variable numbers and names).

Currently, RcxCC makes it hard to inspect that LST file, since it is always
automatically deletes it after download. (Actually, I found myself quite
frequently hovering with the mouse pointer over an Explorer view of the RcxCC
directory in order to catch that file in the act and copy it to some safe place
before it disappeared :-)

I think idea (b) could - again- be realized in two ways, one very simple and one
more comfortable:

(b1) (simple): Just add a switch in the preferences that lets the user choose if
TEMP.LST shall be automatically deleted or not. (If not, it would then be the
user's responsibility to pick off that file with his editor or viewer and make
sure it is the right one and so on...).

(b2)(more comfortable): Add a switch to preferences that will cause TEMP.LST
automatically be loaded into a separate RcxCC edit window. (Just for viewing, of
course. It could be made read-only.)

In any case, of course, idea (a) would be the nicest, coming close to a real
symbolic debugger. But perhaps there are some obstacles in realizing it of which
I'm not aware...

What do other users think of the above?

Uwe