 Robotics / 9292
9291  |  9293
Subject:
Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.robotics.rcx, lugnet.loc.us.ma.bos
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 02:08:31 GMT

I haven't looked at programming the RCX with Visual Basic or other MS Win
languages via the spirit.ocx control, but someone (sorry -- I'm terrible
with remembering names!) at the NELUG meeting asked me why people seem to
like NQC when they could be using Visual Basic. [1]  For me, the answer is
simple -- I use Linux almost exclusively, so spirit.ocx isn't even an
option. And there's the other obvious issues of cost and "got-there-first".

But beyond that, it's my impression that the spirit OCX API is meant to
allow one to write programs like NQC (albeit not cross-platform). In other
words, when writing a VB program to control the RCX, one is writing a
program to output firmware opcodes -- effectively programming in RCX
"assembly language". Am I mistaken?

So, an advantage of NQC is that it allows you to generate programs for the
RCX using a relatively high-level language, whereas with VB, while you're
using a high-level language to write your UI, the guts of what runs on the
actual brick is done at a low level.

(There are of course some advantages to coding at an ASM level. But that's a
different issue...)

[Followup-to lugnet.robotics]

[1] I don't want to get into a language flame war with this -- I bring up
the issue because I want to make sure I'm not incorrect in my answer. If I
am, I'll have learned something. :)