 Robotics / 9304
Re: Mindstorms spirit.ocx programming = RCX ASM coding?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1999 07:55:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Dave Baum writes:
In article <Fn6B2x.6Az@lugnet.com>, "Ian Warfield" <ipw47@hotmail.com> wrote:
While I'll concede that NQC is more understandable in its use of variable
management and mathematical notation, the Spirit OCX is more useful to me
because of its Windows VB implementation.  I can easily write GUIs and real-
time interfaces with my robots.  And it's definitely the way to go if you're
using the computer as a "host station" to control a roving RCX.  Plus - no
offense to Dave or anything - I feel a little more comfortable using the
Spirit SDK since it's "LEGO sanctioned".  (Plus you get this neat
little pamphlet explaining the ins and outs of the RCX and the Spirit
language, which is fun to read.)

My biggest gripe about spirit is that it is only available for Win32.  If
it had also been available on Mac and Linux I would've layered NQC on top
of it and never had to create a non "LEGO sanctioned" interface to the
RCX.  Actually, TLG now appears to acknowledge NQC as a legitimate way to
develop for the RCX - at least that's how I interpret their change to
allow NQC programs to be directly uploaded to www.legomindstorms.com.

Certainly; and it's in their best interest, too.  And anything that elicits
formal recognition from LEGO - even if in a slightly backhanded way like this -
is worthy of respect, given their past and as-yet-still-current policy of not
acknowledging third-party contributions.

Spirit has a definite advantage when you're building something where
part will run on the host computer and part will run on the RCX.  NQC is
really only intended to craft software to run on the RCX itself.

Yeah, but NQC is still a great language, and you've obviously put a lot of
hard work into it.  There has been nothing but praise for NQC everywhere you
look, so I'm certainly not going to crash the party.

Bottom line: I'm all for a variety of tools.  The "best" tool is the one
that fits comfortably in the hand of its user and is effective for present
task.  Given the variation of both tasks and hands, its unlikely that any
single tool will be perfect for everything.

Couldn't have said it better. :)

And sorry about the repetitive post - I didn't realize until after I'd written
it that you'd already written a separate reply.

-- Ian