 Robotics / 2292
Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 23:18:36 GMT

While talking about separating the battery pack from the RCX it occurred to
me that having the thing forget all the firmware whenever you change the
batteries is a *pain*.

Making the RCX retain this in a semi-permanent or permanent fashion would be
nice.

Is it now possible to obtain a 9 Volt version of those small 0.5 or 1 Farad
capacitors that would be small enough to fit in the RCX rev 2.0 ? If you
replaced 1 battery at a time or did not leave them all out too long
something like this would suffice to keep the memory alive.

Would flash memory (like that of the SSFDC cards) be fast enough to execute
from ? You can get 16 Meg now for $50. The 2 Meg size should be cheaper than
a 2X4 standard brick. :-)

I think I will go look up the cycle times and such on the web. This would be
way cool to have an RCX with pluggable (and expandable) memory cards...

--
SeeYa !
------------

Pete Hardie <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
Jakob Nebeker wrote:

Here are some things I would like to see changed for RCX 2.  (if there
is even one)

1.  More connections.  At least 4 outputs and 4 inputs.  The way it is
right now, a robot that drives around can't really do much else, given
that there is only one output to spare for a light or a motor.  Another
inut would also be nice, but not as badly needed as the output.

More inputs, certainly.  Lots more.  Outputs could do with fewer
additional,
since there is less 'critical' need for more motions.

2.  Smaller size.  The RCX 1.0 is HUGE!.  A small robot with RCX 1.0 is
just impossible, the thing is so dang big.  I would like to see the next
version half as thick and with a top 2/3 the size.  This would allow for
some really neat, small robots.

I like someone's idea of a separate battery box, so you can split the
load.

--
Pete Hardie                   |   Goalie, DVSG Dart Team
Scientific Atlanta            |