 Robotics / 2020
RE: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 20:20:13 GMT

By the way, how can they drive a motor and receive feedback from
it 50 times per rotation using only two wires ??? (have I seen
this wrong?)

I believe another message already clarified that there are more than two
wires involved.

However, it is technically possible to do this with two wires. If current
stops flowing through a coil (like in a motor, when it rotates around), you
get a reverse spike generated from the collapsing magnetic field. That's
called Back-EMF. This happens a couple of times per motor rotation, and can
be detected. It is used in some model train command control systems to
achieve constant motor speed and very fine low speed control, independent of
load.

Of course, you would not be able to detect rotation if somebody turns the
motor by hand.

Tilman