 Robotics / 2835
Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 16:57:19 GMT

I am most interested in knowing how you used a RCX motor to shift
the motors into the two different drive trains.  Does it require
any sensors?

The problem of inaccurate motor control is a very real problem in this
design.  Since motors are controled by power/duration (not revolutions)
getting repeatable movement is very hard.  Because of this, cumulative
error can result in the drive gears not being placed in the correct
locations.  To solve this problem the sliding arm was build such that
when it is moved fully into the "A" position it's guide rod is free from
the guide holes.  This means that the motor can keep running past the
end point and the gear simply slips.  No damage is done, and a known
starting point can always be guaranteed.  If every drive train shift

Another way to do it might be ( - I have not built this, but been thinking
about it for a while, as I want to use it with a (manual, and possibly
later also motor-driven) car transmission of the common sliding-axle
type - ) to use rubber bands/springs to make the sliding parts
self-centering the way a toggle switch pulls into teh new position
once you've pushed beyond the threshold. TLG have done this recently
in the Spy Runner, the Cyberslam targets (in 8257, at least), and
in 8428/8432 (Turbo Command - rear suspension has 2 heights).
One would connect the motor and the actual sliding parts with a slightly
flexible arm, e.g. short piece of flex system tube, and have the
sliding parts go "from notch to notch".
A 2-position switch is trivial; I haven't tried one with more yet.

-gbr