 Robotics / 2267
Re: The Handyboard (was Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 19:46:04 GMT

There are two very easy methods of making LEGO compatible 9V
connectors.
1.  Use Dacta #779897 9V Connecting Leads (3 pieces) @ $12.25.
Cut the leads to the appropriate length for your use.  Break a male
0.100" strip header (DigiKey #929834-01-36-ND) into 3 or 4 pin
sections as required and solder to the LEGO cable as shown in the
HandyBoard instructions.
2.  Use LEGO #5037 Electric Plates (9 peices) @ $6.75.  Use your
own wire, solder to the LEGO plates and the header pins.

Phones:
LEGO S@H:  800.453.4652
Dacta:  800.362.4308
DigiKey:  800.344.4539

As for "encasing the HandyBoard in a LEGO brick of sorts," I
have found it preferable to build my robots so that the RCX or
the HandyBoard is easily removeable.  This leads to building a
supporting frame which the RCX or HB can be slipped into
without requiring any disassembly of the robot.  The RCX is
12X8 studs and the HB is 14X10 studs.

Another reason for adding a HB to your robot family:  Fred
Martin has within the past few days released the HB expansion
board which will allow easier use of up to 4 LEGO active sensors
as well as adding 10 additional analog sensor inputs, 9 digital
outputs, and 6 servo motor outputs.

Enjoy!
- - - Nick - - -

Mark Tarrabain wrote:

Rob Visscher wrote:

Multiple ports are  possible if you buy or build a Handyboard. Check out this
URL.
http://lcs.www.media.mit.edu/groups/el/projects/handy-board/

The Handyboard is, indeed, a very cool way to control robots.  Personally, I am
more than a little impressed by it.  Why didn't LEGO base their RCX unit on it?
Or why not the MIT Programmable Brick?  (It at least had more I/O ports than the
RCX does)  The 6811 microcontroller is, from what I remember from electronics
class, an awesome unit to work with.  It even has a good share of software
development tools available for it.  Ah well... I guess that's water under the
bridge now, as it were.

My *only* beef about the Handyboard is that Fred Martin does not explain how to
convert the bare motherboard into a more LEGO modular unit (with LEGO electric
connectors, and being encased in a "LEGO brick" of sorts).  The Handyboard just
does not lend itself superbly well to incorporation with LEGO's modular bricks
without making substantial cosmetic modifications, the full nature of which may
not be entirely obvious to people who merely purchase a ready-made Handyboard
rather than buying the build-it-yourself kit.  Isn't the point of LEGO to be able
to build, dismantle, and reassemble in whatever way the imagination can dream
up?  I'm not suggesting that the Handyboard be reduced to a LEGO-only device, but
rather that there should be some relatively easy to understand instructions in
how to adapt the board for that kind of use.  There are probably many ways it
could be done, of course, but it'd sure be nice to have specific instructions on
how to do it at least one way.  If there were, I'd almost certainly be snatching
one up right after my next paycheck.

Mark