 Robotics / 2273
Re: The Handyboard (was Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 4 Jan 1999 20:55:41 GMT

Nick Taylor wrote:

As for "encasing the HandyBoard in a LEGO brick of sorts," I
have found it preferable to build my robots so that the RCX or
the HandyBoard is easily removeable.  This leads to building a
supporting frame which the RCX or HB can be slipped into
without requiring any disassembly of the robot.  The RCX is
12X8 studs and the HB is 14X10 studs.

Encasing it in a LEGO brick would make it far more resilient and reduce the chances of
dust, etc, contaminating the circuit board.  Further, if it were pluggable into regular
LEGO bricks, the model would not *demand* construction oriented towards carrying a
delicate and loose load.  Although such models can be interesting and challenging to
build, they do not represent every possible robot design.  Finally, as I stated
before... it's about modularity.  LEGO bricks plug into eachother -- physically.  They
hold together to an extent by this force alone.  If one wanted to use a Handyboard
exclusively for LEGO projects, and wanted it to be convenient to disassemble,
reconfigure on the fly, etc. this sort of thing would make it much easier to work
with.  I fully expect that the preceeding comments may produce a swarm of "but you
should carefully design your model first!" responses, and let me just say up front that
I understand the importance of this.  LEGO is, however, a toy.  Is it criminal to want
to just play with it?

Another reason for adding a HB to your robot family:  Fred
Martin has within the past few days released the HB expansion
board which will allow easier use of up to 4 LEGO active sensors
as well as adding 10 additional analog sensor inputs, 9 digital
outputs, and 6 servo motor outputs.

Of course, any enclosure designed for the Handyboard should have room for Fred's
expansion board already accomodated.

Mark