 Robotics / 2066
Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:24:16 GMT

There are already various ideas and designs for running multiple sensors
on a single input port.  Three touch per port seems VERY workable and
more is no doubt possible.

You forget that there are many of us (if not the majority) that neither have the means to build hardware, nor have the knowledge or know-how to build it.

I personally know how good I am at destroying hardware. Is not uncommon to try to fix something and ending up destroying it even further, specially when a soldering iron is involved.
More that 3 sensor inputs should be accessible to everybody, not only to an elite.

Returning to the RCX 2.0, I think they should integrate a slot for accessing the internals of the RCX, much like the ZX Spectrum had. That should open the possibilities of expansion to their limits.
Since the default firmware already have the possibility to receive direct orders that are executed in the moment, I think it should be easy for LEGO to create a hand-held mini-keyboard (connected by IR to the RCX) with direction buttons for controlling the 3 outputs, run/stop program, etc. That way one could control a bot around the house much like a radio controlled car, but much better.

Laurentino Martins   *<||:-)

[mailto:lau@mail.telepac.pt]
[http://www.terravista.pt/Enseada/2808/]