 Robotics / 2070
Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 14:50:43 GMT

  The work being done with the RCX, reminds me of the old days when we
had Apple II, PET's, C64, and the Tandy COCO1/2/3. We were always
figuring out how to get more out of those computers and software tricks.
I remember at one Tandy COCO trade show, the Tandy marking type saying
that it was impossible to copy ROM game packs. Not only did I show him
how easy it was, but it was just as easy to copy the ROMPACK program
into high RAM and run the program there. He then asked the crowd how
many knew this trick and over half the crowd rasised their hand.
  IMHO, this makes the Mindstorm more interesting and fun.

John A. Donaldson

Brett Carver wrote:

Maurice Hilarius wrote:
It boils down to this:

I agree with most of what was said (especially the idea of a library of
ideas which has been started on a couple different web sites).  But...

All of the work people are doing on this front boils down mainly to
"hacks" to squeeze more I/O and control functionality out of the
small number of ports. This is really a waste of time and creativity.

I don't agree that the effort is a "waste".  Personally, I've had a LOT
of fun working on the various technical issues in building my own
sensors and increasing outputs.  I'm also taking advantage of the work
done by others for ideas like multiplexing inputs.

But this is part of what makes MindStorms SO cool.  It's a catalysis
which allows you to express creativity in any of a number of different
fields:  robotics (duh), mechnanical engineering, programming, etc.
What one person sees as a waste another sees as the whole point of the
thing.  And that's OK, but let's be nice about it.

--
                                                        Brett Carver
                                                        brett@sr.hp.com