 Robotics / 2056
Re: RCX 2.0 -- ideas.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 1 Jan 1999 08:16:05 GMT

With regards to your message at 07:06 AM 01-01-99 GMT, Brett Carver. Where
you stated:
Maurice Hilarius wrote:
It boils down to this:

I agree with most of what was said (especially the idea of a library of
ideas which has been started on a couple different web sites).  But...

All of the work people are doing on this front boils down mainly to
"hacks" to squeeze more I/O and control functionality out of the
small number of ports. This is really a waste of time and creativity.

I don't agree that the effort is a "waste".  Personally, I've had a LOT
of fun working on the various technical issues in building my own
sensors and increasing outputs.  I'm also taking advantage of the work
done by others for ideas like multiplexing inputs.

But this is part of what makes MindStorms SO cool.  It's a catalysis
which allows you to express creativity in any of a number of different
fields:  robotics (duh), mechnanical engineering, programming, etc.
What one person sees as a waste another sees as the whole point of the
thing.  And that's OK, but let's be nice about it.

Sorry, I wasn't meaning to be critical!

I was remembering back to very earley computer days.
Back then I remember the great excirement about coming up with a better
ramdisk program.
Nowadays we wouldn't even consider such an idea..

It is definitely rewarding to make things work, even when we have to do it
by almost devious means.
What I was hoping to suggest is that perhaps we could find a place for a
FAQ and resource list to be kept, so that in 6 months when new people join
they will have a place to find answers to questions already asked and solved..

Best regards,

  Maurice W. Hilarius                   Telephone: 01-403-414-9319
  Hard Data Ltd.                        FAX:       01-403-456-1510
  11060 - 166 Avenue                    email:maurice@harddata.com
  Edmonton, AB, Canada  - T5X 1Y3       http://www.harddata.com

  NOTE: January 25, 1999, new telephone numbers _AND_ area code:
Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
FAX:       01-780-456-9772