 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 65
Re: Edmonton Train Show - Intermodal Containers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 18:32:20 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.nalug, John Koob writes:
Good idea Steve.  Rather than using labels, use bricks themselves.

However, I don't think we should ask Michel to rebuild his
existing containers.  He probably has other creations in the
works that need his attention.

True enough - I updated rule #2 in the prior posting.

As far as I am concerned, I have _none_ of the unique parts
Michel mentioned below.  The best I could contribute is...

Unless I break open my 4549, I too will be improvising containers.

If we don't use any special parts for the stacked "dummy"
containers, then I could easily help out (it's just bricks,
plates and tiles).

If you've got lots of plates&tiles, you're ahead of me...  :-)

I could follow nearly any color scheme you suggest.  I kind of
like the 'band' idea...it just won't be consistent with what
Michel has already built.  Oh well.

Actually, it will be consistent.  If you used some white 1x4s in place
of the doors and (white) thin walls, and some red 1x2s in place of the
red thin walls, and assuming you had the appropriate plates and tiles,
your container would look just like 4549 page2R except that you wouldn't
have those nice doors on the end.  But if your container had another
stacked at either end, you wouldn't be able to see that white 1x4s had
been used in place of white doors...  Ta-Da  :-)

Since the container doesn't need to be hollow, 2x4s etc. can also be
used.  Additionally, if you put your band AT_the_end, instead of one
stud in (the 4549page2R pattern) from the end, the container can be
made entirely with 2x4s (and plates and tiles).

It would be great if you could design a "dummy" container
prototype that closely matches the [ones shown on page2 of 4549]
without using specialized parts.

I thought I had done so in my original idea posting.  ;-)  Use my descriptions
and the right hand side of page2 of the 4549 instructions to build your
containers.  Remember that if you're short of 1x4s, the band can be AT
the end OR one stud in from the end.  The key is consistency between your
containers, so that they all appear to belong to the same company.

It's also important to post what brick color you have chosen.  My color
is Yellow, (to match my rail cars) and Michel's color is "mirror/door".
(Personally I'm waiting to see who shows off by using Tan or Brown or
even Green, although it's not as rare as it used to be.)    8-)

Note: I've e-mailed page2R and page3 (if you want to make double-size
containters) of the 4549 instructions to everyone on the NALug list,
so that BrickShelf won't get over-stressed.  If anyone else reading this
wants me to forward the jpgs to them too, just e-mail me.

SRC