 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 52
Re: Edmonton Train Show - Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 05:24:12 GMT

"SRC" <SteveRC@StarTrekMail.com> writes:

No Color Graphics Interface?  (That's the only CGI I'm familiar with)
I was thinking more of your "conditions of use" - ie. too much uploading.

It's one of those TLA's whose expansion I am continually forgetting. It
makes sense as "Computer Generated ...", but I don't think that's what
it is. Essentially, it is scripts/programs that run on the server
machine to either generate custom page content or to process input
from things like forms. The reason I don't want it is that by its
nature it involves programs running on my system under control of the
Apache web server. I'm too paranoid for that, especially since most
CGI scripts are written in Perl, which I am not fluent in.

The "Conditions of Use" is there mostly in case someone official from
my ISP takes a look and decides I shouldn't be running a server. Most
ISP's with cable modems say in the contract that you're not supposed
to run services. Well, an http daemon is a service, as is sendmail,
which is how I receive email. So is my MUD server whenever I run it.
So is the Secure Shell (ssh) daemon. In reality, none of them are
problems.

The ideal solution would be for each of us to have our own section
within a NALug site, such as BayLUG has done with their "Member Pages".
http://www.baylug.org/   Do we have plans along these lines?

I would have trouble paying for a NALUG site when I have essentially
unlimited free space on my own system. We looked into getting a domain
name (I think it was nalug.ab.ca), but were turned down by the CA
registrar because we couldn't demonstrate that we were a provincial
organization. We could likely get nalug.edmonton.ab.ca without too
much trouble. As far as I recall, there is nothing currently in the
works as far as a web site or a domain name.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/