 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 43
Re: Edmonton Train Show Bridge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 22:03:43 GMT

Steve, lets start small!  This is our first attempt at something like this, we
need to learn/practice many things such as coordinating different people, and
bringing the bulk of the display 200km to Edmonton.  The amount of space at
the show is limited, I did offer to the organizers the option of 120x120
inches, they only had room for the 90x120 inch area we have been given.  If we
do a good job, who knows maybe next year they will invite us to make a larger
display.  So save some of your great/large ideas for next year.  The PNLTC
guys had a neat idea, on one end of the display the tables were lower, it was
crossed lenghtwise by a bridge from the mainline, under which there were three
separate ovals of track and some Lego pieces for kids to play with.  Not
enough room for it this year, but could be considered next year.

I'll email the two top plans to you.  The organizers prefered our second
choice but we can try both out life size in St Paul, and make our final
decision then.  The oval road around the outside and in the middle are only
there to represent the empty space inside and outside the layout.  The tables
are place in a donut shape with open space in the middle just under 60 by 30
inches in size, so that there is room for a (?thin) person to operate and fix
derailings.  I am making more tables because I want a better one for a river,
the larger ones are faster to put together, and I hope we will be asked to
have a larger display next year!
A really large monorail bridge would be nice, they had one in the Seattle
truck tour, it crossed the middle of the display.  It collapsed a few times
while I was there after someone knocked into it!
Michel

...It only has one train track and it is only 30 inches long.>
I was thinking larger, like the PNLTC one, including being "Double-wide".

Of course this depends on the layout, which I'm going to play around with.
Can you e-mail me the files for the two that we focused on at the meeting?
the Edmonton Train Show, the "ultimate"bridge to model would be the High • Level.
My plan is for the bridge to take the place of at least four modules, with
a blue blanket on the floor being the river, and a "floor module" at either
end forming the lower river bank, with River Valley Road and the road up
to the legislature grounds included.  I'd also like to replicate the LRT
bridge with my monorail.  The LRT's transition from tunnel to bridge and
back to tunnel is SO cool, but so much monorail would be wasted spiraling
up and down "underground" to raise it back up to the module-table level.
I suppose we could just leave the skirt off the end sections so the
spirals would be visible…
Even if I could somehow get this together in six weeks, (by working on it
to the exclusion of all else) with a module at either end for the train to
turn and the monorail to ascend/descend, we’re talking a minimum of six
(and probably seven or eight) modules overall length.  That’s at least
fifteen feet, but we’ve only been given ten feet as a maximum.  I had no
idea our space was so limited – I was thinking of a layout close to the
size of PNLTC’s “25th anniversary” show.

I already have 3 sets of tables built along PNLTC criteria - Three 60x60
inches and 3 30x30 inches.  I have started to cut the wood for another 2
sets of tables, but the lumberyard ran out of 3/8" plywood, hopefully by
the weekend, I'll be able to assemble them, and paint them next week.

Two more SETS?  As in (2) 60s and (2) 30s?  Just one more 30 and you’ve
got enough to cover the entire area we’ve been allotted.  If we leave out one
30 for somewhere to stand/sit in the middle, that means four more 30s would
be needed – is that (two sets of two 30s each) what you mean?

Returning to the more immediate bridge discussion, I could make a black
trestle bridge and run the monorail over it, while leaving the train running
over Michel’s bridge.  I see two downsides to that though – Monorail is
kind-of-a long light looped bridge, so a massive support structure on part of
it would probably look silly, (ie. If those little posts hold up the rest, why
so much on that one section?) and it would take away much valuable display
space from other models.

All things considered, I think the best would be for me to make a long
unsupported monorail span.  I’m fairly sure I can outdo PNLTC’s
“30-inch monorail wonder”, but I can’t find photos of it…