 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 54
Re: NALUG domain
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 14:43:27 GMT

"John Koob" <jkoob@nospam.v-wave.com> writes:

Common Gateway Interface

Thanks! I'll now go forget it again. :-)

CGI scripts are written in Perl, which I am not fluent in.

Not the case here.  I've used Perl so much that I'm forgetting
how to speak C.

Yes, but if they are running on my machine, *I* must have understanding
and confidence in them. Like I said, I'm paranoid.

I'd vote for nalug.edmonton.ab.ca for now, so at least we have something.
What are the fees for this?

So far, the CA registrar does not charge.

Has anyone looked at something like www.nalug.org?
It's not taken, and registration fee with register.com is $35/yr.  I bet
that
there are geographic restrictions on the .org though.  Anyone?

I think .org's are available for worldwide use. I could be mistaken, however.

If you have lots of space, why not?  If I could ssh to your box, I'd be
willing to
help out with web site stuff.

I can support web pages, but I don't know that I can support a second
domain name pointing for my machine. Having HTTP URL's come to it is
likely not too bad. However, if someone is logged in to a machine and
sends out an email, the email has to appear to be coming from one machine
or another. So, for that sort of use, I don't think my machine could
fully act like it had another name.

Perhaps an ideal solution would be to have a small amount of space on an
ISP that has the facilities to properly support multiple domain names, and
then just have most of the pages point off to the bulk space elsewhere.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/