 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 66
65  |  67
Subject:
NALUG elevator - mailboxes needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:24:28 GMT

John Koob wrote in email:
I have created a pit for the grain that works with my conveyor.
At first I just used slopes, but there were too many edges
where the 1x1 rounds jammed.  So what I needed was a pit
that's curved so that as the bucket comes around the bottom
of the vertical conveyor, it sweeps up the 1x1's.

Here is the prototype pit.  I have not fully tested it yet, but
I wanted to let you have a look:
   http://plaza.powersurfr.com/acme/pix/elevator_bin1.jpg
I used black 2x2 tiles to make a smooth curve.  The bucket
swings down and pushes the 1x1's up the left side of the
curve until the 1x1's fall into the bucket.  If they don't
fall in, they fall back into the pit.  I have to try
more tests to see if I can get it to work consistently.
The hardest part is building the correct curvature.
I also have to add walls to the pit to keep the grain inside.

Michel Magnan wrote:
Great work John,

I also had problems with the edge of the slopes in the chute going down, • so
I appreciate the problem would be worse, going up!  Very elegant solution,
using those tiles and 1x2 hinge bricks.  It must take a lot of pieces!

Thanks for the comments.  Those 2x2 black tile bulk packs really help!

I am pretty sure I don't have 12 mailboxes in any one color, I'll have to
look later today.

I have well over 12 blue 2x2 mailboxes.  We could use those if we can't
find other colors easily.  However, nothing else in this model is blue.

Does someone else in NALUG have any mailboxes to spare in
black or gray?   Mailbox doors are not required.

I could mail you photo of the pit, unless I can borrow someones scanner.

I would be interested in the dimensions in all directions as well.
Could you describe the table hole in words?  If not, I'll wait...

How many of the 1x1s fit in each mailbox?

2 1x1 round bricks or 6 1x1 round plates.  During tests, I was able
to frequently scoop up two or three 1x1 round bricks in one pass
(using double mailboxes).  I feared it wouldn't work at all!

So it looks like we will have to use the table with the hole.
This curved pit needs to be below the discharge chute you've
already built.  (That is, 3 bricks below the surface of the table).
Please let me know about any measurements I would need.

The buckets that work best are two of those 2x2 mailboxes
side by side.  The mailbox door is removed.  Why these?
First, any 1x1 that's inside will never fall out on the
way to the top.  Second, the opening is on the side.
Third, they don't take much room.  The conveyor's diameter at
the end is about 5 studs and the bucket made out of mailboxes
is less than 3 studs.  Total clearance for conveyor at the end
is thus 11 studs.  This fits in the space inside the top of
your elevator. :-)

I have plenty of blue mailboxes.  Do you have enough of
these in a better color?  I would need 10 or 12 in gray
or black...

--
John
(remove the obvious to reply)