 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 77
Re: NALUG elevator - mailboxes needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:28:30 GMT

SRC wrote in message ...
This sounds better IMO.  Also more realistic, since AFAIK, the
grain elevators are raised above ground.

You are correct.  The driveway is elevated.

I've never heard of a "pit" below ground level.

I was under the same impression some years ago, but a pit
below ground level does exist in reality.  This is from a small
book I own on the subject [1]:

  http://plaza.powersurfr.com/acme/pix/elevator_plans.jpg

A few comments:
0.  The pit I constructed is quite close scale (it may be a bit
     shallow, but I don't want to push my luck).
1.  The 'leg' (a.k.a. conveyor) requires more interior space
     inside the elevator than shown in this diagram.
2.  Because we're doing this in Lego, I only have room for two
     bins.
3.  I don't have a clue how I'll build the distributor.  In reality,
     grain flows like a liquid.  One kernel of our 'grain' would
     scale up to the size of a chicken.  Jamming woud be a big
     problem.
4.  To load a car in a real elevator, grain is emptied from a bin
     back into the pit and the 'leg' hauls it back up.  The
     distributor had been set so that the grain would be directed
     to the car spout.  I don't know if I have time to do it this way.
     I may simply load the car directly from the bins.
5.  Michel, do we have room for a tiny office/engine shed.  As
     you can see it would be attached to the drive shed.  I could
     put the leg motor in here as is done in reality.

John
(remove the obvious to reply)

[1] See image for title and author.  I found this book a few years
ago when I became interested in these structures.  Helping
Michel to build an elevator like this is something I've been
planning on doing for a while but never got around to it.