 Organizations / Canada / NALUG / 78
Re: NALUG elevator - mailboxes needed
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 04:56:14 GMT

"SRC" <SteveRC@StarTrekMail.com> writes:

If this is too much trouble, I could raise the whole elevator.

This sounds better IMO.  Also more realistic, since AFAIK, the
grain elevators are raised above ground.  I've never heard of a
"pit" below ground level.  (The company I'm CAD designing for has
a much better method of moving grain, but that's a whole other
subject.)  Besides, inclined rails are much more interesting.

For a few years I lived in Vulcan, which held the record for the most
wooden grain elevators (11?) lined up along the railroad tracks. Lots of
family friends were grain farmers who delivered to them, so, I've been
in at least one of them. The grain trucks drive through the bottom level
of the elevator, which is often raised above ground level. They stop
over one of the (dunno how many, could be just one) pits and dump the
grain into it, through steel bars (perhaps older ones are wooden beams)
that make up its top. A grain augur at the bottom of the pit lifts the
grain up towards the top, where it is directed to the appropriate bin
inside the elevator, depending on its type and grade. I believe each
such bin has a conical bottom with a gate, such that when train cars
pull up under the side, the grain from the selected bin is released,
and then rides the augur back up to the top, where this time it is
directed towards the top of the railroad cars.

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg@ami-cg.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA
               http://www.GraySage.Edmonton.AB.CA/cg/