 Off-Topic / Debate / 28400
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:43:17 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jeff Stembel wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--

   Yes, well if you believe the historical record from the early days of mankind, language was designed this way.
Perhaps next time you can try answering the question with something other than a joke (hopefully). Although answering questions might show that the majority of your argument is constructed out of straw.

Actually, that was a serious response. If you believe the account in Genesis, language was designed to keep us apart. Read the story, comprehend what it says, and then see if it sheds any light on your bafflement as to why “some people have a problem with the type of language used by others.”

I was going to say nothing in response to your response and I will leave out the rest of it but... I just can’t believe that you seriously expect me to take the writings in Genesis as part of a logical argument. I really can’t. I’m not Christian, Chris. I’ve got no intention of becoming Christian and if I ever did become Christian I still wouldn’t believe that Genesis was a literal account of history.

That section of his post does reveal a lot about his (il)logic processes, though.

Where I come from, it is a sign of critical thinking to be able to evaluate an idea on its own merits, regardless of the source. But I know that critical thinking is a dying art.

Do cultural differences add nuance to the written/spoken word that cause different people to react differently to the same phrase? Might this somehow explain why “some people have a problem with the type of language used by others.” Does this mandate that in polite society there are words and phrases that should be avoided?

Every generation creates new terminology/slang in order to differentiate themselves from their parents. Why should it be any different between cultures?

So I guess I would have to agree with you, Jeff. That section reveals a lot about my logic processes. It’s called “keeping an open mind.”