 Off-Topic / Debate / 28350
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 19:16:00 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bob Parker wrote:
   While not naming any specific sites, I would be interested in hearing the Community’s thoughts on whether you think it right or wrong for one AFOL site to talk about another AFOL site. For purposes of this discussion, we will assume that by talk I mean badmouth.

I’m not sure right or wrong have much to do with it, given human nature.

Right now, I could easily name three pairs of LEGO-related web sites where your example could apply, including one I run. So I don’t think this is anything new. Personally, I stay out of that stuff. As long as the mudslinging doesn’t get me messy, I don’t really care what site A is saying about site B.

“What happens on Lugnet, stays on Lugnet.” ;)

The internecine squabbling between sites is natural in a fragmented community like this, where you get groups and subgroups who sometimes rub against each other. As long as it doesn’t erupt into a massive multi-site flamewar, it’s just as well to let each spat run its course.

Lacking any central authority, I’m not really sure there’s anything anyone could or should do about it anyway.

Kelly