 Off-Topic / Debate / 28380
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:24:24 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   Yes... mainly because many members refused to acknowledge that the people trying to instigate change had the authority to do so.

From my observations that wasn’t the only reason nor even the main reason. From my solo, lurking position (as in unconnected to any of the parties involved) there appeared to be too much abuse of power.

Agree. From my standpoint, people involved at the heart of the debate didn’t so much object to the existance of that power, they mostly objected to the perceived misuse of that power. Certainly, the possibility of moderation was objectionable to some, but I don’t think that in particular was why the massive outbreak occured.

For history’s sake-- the reason Lugnet is the way it is is because it was built as an NNTP model. From what I’ve been told, back in 1997/1998, Todd saw the NNTP model as the “way it should/will always work”, and the web interface was more or less fluff. That is to say, Todd foresaw NNTP more as the future of internet discussions, or at least the type he wanted to foster going forward. And (as you may know) NNTP doesn’t really support the ideas of censorship or moderation, because messages can propogate to the client-side, without going back to refresh from the central server. Essentially, the technology makes censorship and moderation more difficult and/or unreliable.

Also, Todd was very much concerned with things like data persistance and completeness. The idea that information would “disappear” or “change” was very UNappealing to him, so Lugnet was built with that idea in mind. Things like post editing, etc, were contrary (I think) to Todd’s opinion about how it “ought” to work.

   I think it’s a reasonable solution too but I also think that it is a form of censorship and that giving it a different name doesn’t change its main function.

While technically I could see an argument for calling it censorship, I don’t really think the label applies. Censorship (to me) implies that information is made unavailable. In some cases, I could agree that obscuring data represents censorship, like (for example) you had to fill out a form to view murfled posts, and then had a 24-hour waiting period before being able to see the message. But making people take an extra click hardly feels like censorship.

I DO agree that murfling makes clear the administrative opinion of the content of the message, and that certainly bespeaks information that wouldn’t otherwise be available. But I don’t think that’s *censorship*. It’s the difference between DISALLOWING content and simply ALLOWING administrative commentary.

DaveE