 Off-Topic / Debate / 28399
28398  |  28400
Subject:
Bible as a literal source? was Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:34:03 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Chris Phillips wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--

   Yes, well if you believe the historical record from the early days of mankind, language was designed this way.
Perhaps next time you can try answering the question with something other than a joke (hopefully). Although answering questions might show that the majority of your argument is constructed out of straw.

Actually, that was a serious response. If you believe the account in Genesis, language was designed to keep us apart. Read the story, comprehend what it says, and then see if it sheds any light on your bafflement as to why “some people have a problem with the type of language used by others.”

I was going to say nothing in response to your response and I will leave out the rest of it but...

Convenient how you “missed these other points out.”

Not convenience, I’d already said I would: “PS. And in the absence of any sort of addition to the argument from you I will let you have your last word and bow out. While trading insults with you is amusing it’s polite to leave it off Lugnet. You’re welcome to continue by email or on JLUG.”

The absence was there. I did respond to the point about the bible because I misunderstood in my earlier response that it was meant seriously.

   I just can’t believe that you seriously expect me to take the writings in Genesis as part of a logical argument. I really can’t. I’m not Christian, Chris. I’ve got no intention of becoming Christian and if I ever did become Christian I still wouldn’t believe that Genesis was a literal account of history.

You don’t have to be Christian to believe the Old Testament. And you don’t have to believe that it is a literal account of history to recognize that the books of the Bible contain certain truths.

I’ve no doubts they contain certain truths. I have immense doubts that they have any bearing on linguistics or socio-linguistics.

   Very few people that I know believe that the Universe was created in six days, yet the sequence described is very likely how the process unfolded.

Considering that it can be interpreted in all sorts of ways I’m not surprised it can be interpreted that way. It can also be interpreted quite differently.

Here’s the first day:

“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. The earth was without form and void, and darkness was upon the face of the deep; and the Spirit of God was moving over the face of the waters.”

By most cosmological accounts the Earth was created an awfully long time after the universe.

“And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.”

Here’s a problem. The stars were created before the planets and the stars are the source of light. Bit of a mistake here.

“And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”

It seems far more likely to me (although I’m not a planetologist) that the water formed oceans in between the continents than the other way around. It strikes me as unlikely that the Earth was formed as a perfect spheroid.

That’s already a couple of mistakes on the first and second day. I won’t go through the rest.

   Even most Darwinists are able to reconcile their beliefs with the biblical account at some level.

I doubt that “most Darwinists” would bother. However I completely accept that if they to so choose to they could easily reconcile them. It doesn’t actually mean the Bible is true, just that it’s vague enough (if you take it as analogy) that people can interpret it many ways.

   Whether you view these writings as literal truths or as fairy tales, there is much in the old books that corresponds precisely with the little that is known about the course of human history. I don’t believe in The Big Bad Wolf, but I still see how that tale could be rooted in actual events. And I can still draw useful lessons from those stories, even if I don’t take them literally.

You weren’t asking me to take a lesson from Genesis, you were quoting it as a “historical record from the early days of mankind” while allowing disbelief (thanks for the option, I’ll happily take you up on it).

   But whatever. You don’t accept the Bible as a reliable reference source. Many do not consider Wikipedia to be reliable, either. See? I can be obtuse, too.

Tim