 Off-Topic / Debate / 28390
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:47:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   The word murfle was created to describe a form of censorship in fluffy terms ie. the misleading use of terminology to cloak the true meaning. There’s nothing new about having an uncensored and a censored version of things so it’s not a new word to describe a new action.

   Is it censorship when a web site makes you click an extra link in order to see material that may be considered offensive to some?
No it’s not.

So how is that different from having to click an extra link to see the “un-murfled” version of a message? Do you recognize only shades of grey, but not shades of pink?

   I forgot about your war on JLUG but I guess that explains why you’re so testy about my responses. Nothing quite as pointless as arguing with someone who’s already made their mind up about you based on your affiliations.

Well you’ve got me wrong there. I believe there is ample proof in the LUGNET archives that I do not carry grudges.

   Care to point out your logic to me?
Interesting that you missed this one out. I guess you’re so satisfied with your own logic you feel no need to make it clear. At least some of us take the time to spell out our arguments.

Was I being too subtle when I quoted the Wikipedia definition of the term “Orwellian?” My bad. Next time I’ll be sure to add a few animated GIF emoticons so that you don’t miss it.

   Again, I’m not really sure which side of the argument you are on here. Sure, Richie and I seem to be able to use the term “Orwellian” correctly. Does the Wikipedia definition “match” any of the statements you’ve made?
I’m not picking and choosing here. I’m merely pointing out that by the definition you quoted some of what you wrote as being Orwellian was and some of it wasn’t. Thus even by your own arguments you are slightly wrong.

Are you now arguing that Richie was right in saying it was Orwellian even by your own definition?

I am saying that he appears to have correctly used the term “Orwellian” to convey his impression of the murfling process. That is not to say I agree with his characterization.

   Oh, I don’t think coarseness weakens an argument per se, but it is usually a sign that emotion is taking over for logic.
I suspected as much. Take it from me that it doesn’t when coming from me. I’ve never had a problem with “coarse” or “refined” metaphors and will use either when I think them appropriate. I prefer to keep the sphere of my language use broader rather than narrower.

   And that is really the crux of this whole murfling thing to begin with. It is possible to teach even a sex education class without resorting to vulgar or profane language, so it really baffles me when people claim that the threat that their profanity might get murfled is somehow suppressing their ability to express their ideas.
It really baffles me why some people have a problem with the type of language used by others.

Yes, well if you believe the historical record from the early days of mankind, language was designed this way.

   Of course there are (almost) always other ways of saying things but why should it be restricted? That’s ignoring the fact that what is considered profane by one person may be perfectly accpetable to another. As an example you seem to consider “talking out of your arse” as coarse but that is acceptable language in the highest office in my country.

This is completely unrelated to my argument. My point is that Richie is arguing that murfling is a euphemism for censorship. On that point I completely agree with him. Even if it had never been used it would still be a euphemism for censorship. Is that too subtle for you?

Master of subtlety
Spewing forth the vivid metaphor
In case we missed the point.