 Off-Topic / Debate / 28364
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2007 22:13:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Kelly McKiernan wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Tim David wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Bob Parker wrote:
   While not naming any specific sites, I would be interested in hearing the Community’s thoughts on whether you think it right or wrong for one AFOL site to talk about another AFOL site. For purposes of this discussion, we will assume that by talk I mean badmouth.

I’m not sure that the sites that prompted your ponderings are really AFOL sites. Not a a critism of them, merely a thought that the standards of maturity might not be what you would like to get from an AFOL site

Actually, I’ve found the behavior of some people on “adult” LEGO sites (like Lugnet) to be less mature than the norm on kid-oriented LEGO sites (like BZPower). There have been incidents and member actions on Lugnet that I wouldn’t tolerate on BZP.

The standards for maturity don’t always seem to apply to Lugnet.

While I can appreciate you point here, Kelly, I have to say that, based on various comments you’ve made on lugnet in the past, I wouldn’t like to frequent a site where your ‘standard of maturity’ are applied.

Please provide links to my previous applicable comments so I know what you’re referring to.

I now stand with egg on my face. I had you confused with Mark Pappenfuss. I did a quick scan before posting but wasn’t as thorough as I ought to have been. My most sincere apologies for not being more careful and thus casting unfair aspersions.

   Also, let’s define “standard of maturity.” I’d call it “Play Well,” which is something anybody can do - if they so choose. Not everyone does so choose.

   This post is a pretty good example really. Do you consider it mature to make snide comments about other people’s behaviour?

Which snide comments are you referring to? I was making a general statement based on observed behavior on various LEGO enthusiast web sites, with a specific (factual) observation that about this particular site. Any perceived snideness was the result of reader assumptions rather than author intent.

Being factual doesn’t in any way change snideness. I was specifically referring to the additional sentence at the end after the main paragraph. Even taking off my mistaken view that you have said similar things in the past I still read it as a bit snide (ie. slyly disparaging). It may not be intended as such but its apparent tone and aloneness gives me that impression.

   And to short-circuit future accusations, no, I don’t consider myself mature, and hope I never do. Neener neener.

Kelly

And once again sorry for my mistake.

Tim