 Off-Topic / Debate / 28397
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:07:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:
   --snip--

   Yes, well if you believe the historical record from the early days of mankind, language was designed this way.
Perhaps next time you can try answering the question with something other than a joke (hopefully). Although answering questions might show that the majority of your argument is constructed out of straw.

Actually, that was a serious response. If you believe the account in Genesis, language was designed to keep us apart. Read the story, comprehend what it says, and then see if it sheds any light on your bafflement as to why “some people have a problem with the type of language used by others.”

I was going to say nothing in response to your response and I will leave out the rest of it but...

Convenient how you “missed these other points out.”

   I just can’t believe that you seriously expect me to take the writings in Genesis as part of a logical argument. I really can’t. I’m not Christian, Chris. I’ve got no intention of becoming Christian and if I ever did become Christian I still wouldn’t believe that Genesis was a literal account of history.

You don’t have to be Christian to believe the Old Testament. And you don’t have to believe that it is a literal account of history to recognize that the books of the Bible contain certain truths. Very few people that I know believe that the Universe was created in six days, yet the sequence described is very likely how the process unfolded. Even most Darwinists are able to reconcile their beliefs with the biblical account at some level.

Whether you view these writings as literal truths or as fairy tales, there is much in the old books that corresponds precisely with the little that is known about the course of human history. I don’t believe in The Big Bad Wolf, but I still see how that tale could be rooted in actual events. And I can still draw useful lessons from those stories, even if I don’t take them literally.

But whatever. You don’t accept the Bible as a reliable reference source. Many do not consider Wikipedia to be reliable, either. See? I can be obtuse, too.