 Off-Topic / Debate / 28381
Re: Should AFOL websites keep to themselves?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 17:38:41 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Timothy Gould wrote:

   Yes... mainly because many members refused to acknowledge that the people trying to instigate change had the authority to do so.

From my observations that wasn’t the only reason nor even the main reason. From my solo, lurking position (as in unconnected to any of the parties involved) there appeared to be too much abuse of power.

Agree. From my standpoint, people involved at the heart of the debate didn’t so much object to the existance of that power, they mostly objected to the perceived misuse of that power. Certainly, the possibility of moderation was objectionable to some, but I don’t think that in particular was why the massive outbreak occured.

I’d stress the word “appearance” since I continue to believe there was no power abuse at that time. But the notion certainly had a lot to do with the ensuing chaos. To me, it comes down to, “I don’t believe that person X should have power over me.” It’s ironic that the process which was trying to update rules for behavior (especially for admins) and limit potential abuses was the ultimate cause for its own failure.

Kelly