 Off-Topic / Debate / 27034
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 21:08:48 GMT

   This has nothing to do with “allowing” anything. I’m not advocating banning or allowing anything.

Well, not necessarily you per se, but it’s one of those things that the Right is generally against. Gay marriage being the big ticket item at the moment. Things like that, restrictions on stem cell research, and even things like gambling & prostitution. Certainly I’d expect that the Right would be more against such things (and advocate laws against them) whereas the Left *generally* would be more liberal when it came to that.

   These shifts are emanating from the Left (certainly not from the conservative Right) and in the arena of ideas,

Well, I wouldn’t be so quick to make that call-- I don’t think it’s really deriving from the political arena, but more the societal changes going on. The internet, TV, movies, etc all have a lot to do with that, I think. Freedom and availability of information has allowed previously hidden, obscured, or publically frowned-on information to be more exposed. It’s given a voice to far more people, and widened the definition of what’s “accepted” because you see it more often.

Suddenly people’s closetted lives are being exposed, and it’s seen as commonplace. How often does the topic of “porn” come up in casual conversation nowadays versus 30 years ago? How much do kids see now versus then? When did someone being gay become something that you can mention freely in conversation? How come you can say certain words on TV now that would NEVER have made it even CLOSE to censors in the 50’s? Take it back 100 years, and we’re onto topics like racial and sexual descrimination.

I don’t really see the Left to blame for such ideas. The difference as far as I see is that the Left is merely more accepting to them. The Right tends to be more static in terms of its standpoints (which is part of its strength, but also part of its weakness). It’s all about “traditional” American, Christian, fiercely patriotic values, which frowns on much of modern culture. The Left by comparison doesn’t reject the new culture as much. But I certainly don’t think it’s the Left that’s *causing* those changes.

DaveE