 Off-Topic / Debate / 27066
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 22 Jun 2005 14:04:32 GMT

   Mainly the Right is against government funding for such research. Same with abortion. But yes, there is a moral component to it as well.

This may be an unintentional misstatement of the facts. My impression is that an all-out ban on stem-cell research would receive massive support from the Right, but the Right realizes that it’s a game of inches. First, ban government funding of stem-cell research. Second (hypothetically, but you get the point), ban stem-cell research by entities not licensed by the government. Third (again, hypothetically) ban stem-cell research outright.

The Right may claim that it is a moral issue, but in fact it is a case of the Right trying to require that everyone be forced to share the Right’s carefully calculated articulation of its moral values.

Dave!

The Right’s objection to stem cell research revolves around the use of fetal stem cells. It is their fear that unborn fetuses will become stem cell gardens for research. I know of no objections to the usage of other types of stem cells such as the ones found in the imbilical cord. So, one must specify which type of stem cell one is talking about WRT to this whole debate.

JOHN