 Off-Topic / Debate / 27038
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 23:59:57 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

Besides, I don’t think androgyny is the goal here (although that may be the current trend).

I think that’s exactly the ideological goal. I think some believe this to be the ultimate expression of humanity.

Then you obviously give more credence to the influence a few fashion designers have than I do.

   It seems more about having the choice to step out of stereotypical roles, and what’s wrong with that?

WHICH “stereotypical roles”??? Fatherhood? Husband? Any individual can do whatever they want, but holding up such a silly vision of a “new male” for society to emulate is destructive.

But what kind of father? What kind of husband? As much as you’d like to think otherwise, there’s no one single blueprint for fulfilling either of those roles well. It’s not inherent that such a man wouldn’t be a terrific husband and father, any more than the ‘old man’, for want of a better term, would be (and there’s plenty of crappy fathers and husbands around right now, so holding the current status of men as some sort of ideal is delusional at best.)

Personally I think men in general do need to do a little work on themselves (myself included, especially myself according to my wife ;) to help mitigate some of the bad rap they’ve been getting, but that doesn’t mean I’ll be putting on lipstick any time soon.

   You’re perfectly free to reject them. Why do you think it’s appropriate to judge others who choose to embrace them?

I’m not judging others, but I am objecting to others foisting their screwed up vision on society. It is their vision vs mine.

Sounds like a recipe for a miserable life.

   The world is constantly changing. You can rail against it all you like, but it won’t stop it.

What a cop-out attitude.

It’s merely the truth. The trick is in directing that change towards something good. What is ‘good’, however, can be debated until the end of time before anything is done. The best you can do is to work on your own life, and let others do the same.

   I choose to change the world for GOOD, and this crap is not good for society.

What, by posting on Lugnet? Good luck with that.

   Chances are in the natural cycle of things that it’ll swing around to something you approve of again eventually.

You can choose to be passive against such changes if you wish.

Call it calm acceptance.

   You also won’t get any argument from me that western civilasation is in decline, but this example is merely the latest symptom of a process that has been in effect for at least a couple of hundred years. Typifying it as a result of the actions of the ‘left’ is extraordinarliy narrow-minded though imo.

Not everyone on the Left, but it certainly is emanating from the Left.

Despite what you think, the world is not easily divided into ‘left’ and ‘right’ ideologies. With such a dualistic view of the world it’s no wonder you have difficulty seeing it as it is.

   There is very little being done by any political affiliation that is acting to reverse this decline.

I disagree.

I suppose by that you mean that you think your beloved Republican party is doing this? Don’t make me laugh.

   In fact it seems to be a fairly common assumption that we’re actually progressing. That’s merely another symptom.

But only the Left would agree that such a “new male” would be progress.

   My advice: Don’t worry. Be happy. If you don’t want to put on a dress, don’t.

Well, YOU are on the front lines (Europe). Your masculinity will be culturally emasculated before mine.

Wrong continent dude. This particular wave probably won’t hit down-under for a good few years yet, if it ever does. I expect it’ll pan out to be a non-issue. I mean, since when has the catwalks of Paris and Milan had any effect on society previously.

Read the article again. While it talks all sorts of bollocks about changing society, and making the ‘new man’ or whatever, looking closely you’ll see that it’s nothing more than a retail trend trying to make itself appear more important than it actually is.

Relax dude, you’re gonna burst something. There’s far more important things to be concerned about.

Cheers,

Allister