 Off-Topic / Debate / 27018
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:35:24 GMT

   In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Allister McLaren wrote:

   But seriously, what exactly are you frightened of? Nothing in there is suggesting that you give up your idea of what a man is. If you are feeling threatened by this maybe you’re not as much of a man as you think you are.

And maybe not. Maybe I want my kids and the next generation to eschew such silly ideas that men should look and act more like women and women should look and act more like men. What if men looked and acted like men, and women looked and acted like women? Sound hateful and bigotted? I thought so.

Teach them well, and they’ll make reasonable choices. They may even follow in your footsteps. Whatever they do, I at least hope you’ll respect their choices, even if they choose to put on a pink shirt.

Besides, I don’t think androgyny is the goal here (although that may be the current trend). It seems more about having the choice to step out of stereotypical roles, and what’s wrong with that?

   This is nothing, unless you think clothes do make the man. All this primping and preening isn’t my cup of tea either, but if others want to do it, so what?

You are staring at a vision of the future if certain individuals had any say in the matter. And they do. And so do I. It is a battle of ideas and values, and I reject these. I see them as decadent; evidence of declining culture, not progressive.

You’re perfectly free to reject them. Why do you think it’s appropriate to judge others who choose to embrace them?

The world is constantly changing. You can rail against it all you like, but it won’t stop it. Chances are in the natural cycle of things that it’ll swing around to something you approve of again eventually.

You also won’t get any argument from me that western civilasation is in decline, but this example is merely the latest symptom of a process that has been in effect for at least a couple of hundred years. Typifying it as a result of the actions of the ‘left’ is extraordinarliy narrow-minded though imo. There is very little being done by any political affiliation that is acting to reverse this decline. In fact it seems to be a fairly common assumption that we’re actually progressing. That’s merely another symptom.

My advice: Don’t worry. Be happy. If you don’t want to put on a dress, don’t.

Allister