 Off-Topic / Debate / 27030
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 19:38:25 GMT

   it isn’t that Western Culture is yearning for this archetype, it’s that these “hybrid men” are yearning for this archetype.

I guess what I don’t understand is why this is suddenly apparent--or why it’s a problem--now, of all times? I don’t comprehend the term “hybrid men,” so I won’t use it here.

FOUL!!! This has everything to do with this nonsensical, idiotic term! That is what I’m talking about!

Well, if you don’t like the term, that’s fine with me. I object to it because it’s not usefully descriptive.

However, I have the sense that your beef is with the underlying idea represented by this so-called “hybrid man,” rather than with the term. If they called it “Man 2.0,” I suspect that you’d still have a problem with it, so it seems to me that the term itself is irrelevant. Am I incorrect?

   However, I will point out that the foiling of gender-related stereotypes has been going on for at least several millennia in many cultures around the globe.

Perhaps we could discuss a specific example of an industrialized culture?

Sure! It’s gone on in the United States since at least the signing of the US Constitution. What do you think of those foppish wigs? I don’t see the point in isolating our search (which, like an idiot, I spelled “surch”) to industrialized (by which I infer you to mean post-Industrial Revolution) cultures, especially if those same cultures pre-dated the IR.

   Sure, some cultures have been more “successful” at suppressing the displays of non-stereotypical gender displays, but the underlying phenomenon has always been in place.

It seems to me that the only people who have trouble with evolving gender-signals are those who cling to regressive, binary concepts of gender.

I would take issue with your pejorative “regressive”, but other than that, so what?

Not meant as an insult, but I can see how it came across that way. I meant it purely as a contrast to a “progressive” and nuanced (i.e., non-binary) concept of gender.

Anyway, the “so what” aspect is that I don’t accept that binary notions of masculine/feminine fit our modern awareness of the mutability and overlap of the characteristics those terms are thought to describe.

   Ideas such as these are counterintuitive and would never be embraced by children-- only by indoctrination by someone or some culture that adhered to them.

The same, honestly, must be said of language, religion, and the notion of “rights.” Why is this particular arena of cultural indoctination singled out for derision?

   In that same post you ask “What if men looked and acted like men, and women looked and acted like women? Well, you have to provide a detailed list of how a man acts and how a woman acts, because without that detailed list we can have no idea of what you’re proposing.

Is that really so mysterious? Men and women act differently. Men think like other men more than like women, and vice versa. Defferences between the sexes goes beyond the plumbing. If this isn’t obvious, then perhaps the discussion ends here.

I don’t dispute that differences between men and women exist; I simply dispute that the differences in gender (as opposed to sex) are as inherent as some seem to wish.

   Is this list timeless and immutable? Does it apply to the United States in 1787 as well as 2005? On what is it based? Must all people adhere to it? What of those who opt out?

I am talking about biological differences. Any individual is free to deny it, but that doesn’t change the reality of it.

By “biological differences,” I take it that you mean those in addition to the plumbing, correct?

Do you suggest that an unchanging, unbreachable wall exists between masculine and feminine? On what basis?

I don’t accept that any line exists such that one may assert “masculine-only on this side and feminine-only on that, and never the twain shall meet.” The boundary is vague and inferential, with considerable blurring and overlap.

   It is, of course, the prerogative of each generation to judge its successor to be in decline, but that’s a matter of provincial wisdom and stodgy traditionalism. There is no objective standard against which to judge this “decline;” at best, one can observe that one generation does things differently from another, and that a member of one generation may find this difference distasteful. That’s all.

   Until you articulate the objective standard by which you measure this so-called decline, your arguments are nothing more than a rant based on your aesthetic model of society. As always, our society has decreed that that’s your right, but it doesn’t make for a convincing argument.

I think that one could make the argument that we are more uncivil and immoral than we were 40 years ago. Certainly many books have addressed this topic. Technology, it seems to me, is accelerating that process.

Uncivil and immoral by what objective standard? None, as far as I’m aware. The only standard that one can apply is that of a particular generation, which may also coincide with that of another generation, but that’s a far cry from an objective test.

I accept that you judge current society to have degraded from that of 40 or 50 years ago. Without trying to be funny, I note that many Conservatives make that same judgment, but it’s founded in nostalgia, gerrymandering, wishful thinking, and selective sampling, rather than in reality.

   The difference between a lunatic screaming admonitions of decline and a prophet who correctly predicts it is simply at which point you receive the message. You never know for sure until it’s too late.

I’m confident that the prophet will remain indistinguishable from the lunatic until the veracity of his predictions is borne out.

Dave!