 Off-Topic / Debate / 27039
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:02:32 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   I think that one could make the argument that we are more uncivil and immoral than we were 40 years ago. Certainly many books have addressed this topic. Technology, it seems to me, is accelerating that process.

40 years ago would be 1965. Are you saying the decade of free love, rock ‘n’ roll, and rampant drug use is more moral than today.

Time flies;-) Let’s say 45 years.

   In the 1940’s, America had invented a weapon that could kill 100,000 people in one blast,

That’s one way to look at it. Another way is that it saved 10,000s of lives as well.

   while perfecting existing technology that destroyed the cities of Dresden and Tokyo, each killing thousands upon thousands of people.

Yes, but that was in an effort to defend our country. Yeah, war is hell-- so don’t start one (speaking to warmongers). And before you flood your keyboard with drool anticipating the riposte about the Iraq war, remember: we didn’t start the war on terror-- we are fighting back. But let’s not go there, if you please.

   Men have been wife swapping and dressing as women for the past two centuries easily. Haven’t you ever heard of a fop or a dandy?

Yes, but that was in the shadows, not in the public eye and nobody was calling for such behavior to become normative.

   But what bothers me most about your post is the association of a few nutjob fashionistas to the entire Leftist “culture.” - That feels more like cultural war than anything else.

Generally, the Left is the impetus for cultural change, the Right for status quo. There is a definite tension there between driving change that is needed for the good of society, and change that is to the detriment of society.

   You are picking a fight with us, rather than defending yourself from an attack. Peace doesn’t mean a monolithic culture than mandates gender roles, peace is about ‘live and let be.’

You can’t have your cake and eat it, too. It seems okay to you for the Left to drive ANY kind of change they desire, but any drive from the Right to maintain the status quo is hostile. What you mean is “Live, and let the Left be.”

JOHN