 Off-Topic / Debate / 27021
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 9 Jun 2005 14:42:54 GMT

   This is why I fear the Left. This is cultural war.

There’s a lot of babble, gafla, marketspeak, posery etc, in there but is this the part you want to go to war with??

   “There is an increasing desire for people to be in charge of their own lives, and an intolerance for any lack of autonomy,” he told the debate.

“We are watching the birth of a hybrid man. ... Why not put on a pink-flowered shirt and try out a partner-swapping club?” asked Le Louet, stressing that the study had focused on men aged between 20 and 35.

It is a complete and utter load of horsecrap. But these twits are the ones who set fashion trends which can dictate directions culture can take. It is the tail wagging the dog; it isn’t that Western Culture is yearning for this archetype, it’s that these “hybrid men” are yearning for this archetype.

I guess what I don’t understand is why this is suddenly apparent--or why it’s a problem--now, of all times? I don’t comprehend the term “hybrid men,” so I won’t use it here. However, I will point out that the foiling of gender-related stereotypes has been going on for at least several millennia in many cultures around the globe. Sure, some cultures have been more “successful” at suppressing the displays of non-stereotypical gender displays, but the underlying phenomenon has always been in place.

It seems to me that the only people who have trouble with evolving gender-signals are those who cling to regressive, binary concepts of gender.

Allister made the excellent and correct suggestion that one teach one’s children well so that they make reasonable choices. You have objected that you want your kids to eschew what you decry as the “silly ideas that men should look and act more like women and women should look and act more like men.“ Well, what if your kids choose not to reject these ideas? Will you respect their decision, or will you condemn them for it?

In that same post you ask “What if men looked and acted like men, and women looked and acted like women? Well, you have to provide a detailed list of how a man acts and how a woman acts, because without that detailed list we can have no idea of what you’re proposing.

Is this list timeless and immutable? Does it apply to the United States in 1787 as well as 2005? On what is it based? Must all people adhere to it? What of those who opt out?

It is, of course, the prerogative of each generation to judge its successor to be in decline, but that’s a matter of provincial wisdom and stodgy traditionalism. There is no objective standard against which to judge this “decline;” at best, one can observe that one generation does things differently from another, and that a member of one generation may find this difference distasteful. That’s all.

Until you articulate the objective standard by which you measure this so-called decline, your arguments are nothing more than a rant based on your aesthetic model of society. As always, our society has decreed that that’s your right, but it doesn’t make for a convincing argument.

Dave!