 Off-Topic / Debate / 27080
Re: I think I'm going to puke....
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:32:41 GMT

   I was referring to fetal stem cells, which scientific consensus identifies as likely the most fruitful source of therapeutic treatments.

As you have noted elsewhere, this consensus most certainly doesn’t exist and scientific progress can most likely procede without the use of fetal stem cells.

Since I’ve already ceded that point, I think we can move on.

Also, I don’t know what I was smoking that led me to fail to distinguish between fetal and embryonic, which really is central in this context. My apologies.

   I know that numerous eggs are used purely for utilitarian reasons. But maybe this shouldn’t be the case, and science needs to work on perfecting the in vitro fertilization process that respects life more.

We need to define what “respects life” means before we can proceed in that direction, I think. Also, we’re at least decades away from single-embryoniic-implantation for in vitro fertilization.

   If fetal stem cell research is allowed to flourish, the termination of one blastocyst may save hundreds of thousands of lives. How can this not be seen as a worthy course?

It is because they are taken from aborted fetuses.

Yeah, that’s why I was a dummy to use “fetal” instead of “embryonic.”

   Also, the whole claptrap about “Snowflake Adoptions” is patently offensive, when Dubya has worked so hard to kill so many Iraqi children,

That assertion is what is patently offensive...

Why is it offensive? Because it’s true? Because it’s unpleasant? Because a deliberate murderer (who has, by the way, killed more Americans than Saddam Hussein) holds the highest office in the land?

I agree that Dubya’s murderous policies at home and abroad are patently offensive, especially when couched in Orwellian “culture of life” gobblydegook.

Dave!