 Off-Topic / Debate / 26458
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 02:34:40 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Frank Filz wrote:
Douglas R. Clark wrote:
When a person uses a set of lego elements and various construction
techniques to create a MOC the end product's outward appearence and
structure could be considered a design.  If the image/design of the
end-product was an original creation of the person's mind, that
person would then own the intellectual-property rights to that design.

Hmm, is a MOC actually covered by copyright? It may only be protected by
design patents, which I don't think are automatic. Are sculptures protected
by copyright?

Frank

I'm obviously not an IP lawyer.  My impression is that Lucasfilm owns the
copyrights to the image/design of an X-wing.  Lego could not produce a kit that
resembles anything like an x-wing without first obtaining Lucas's permission.
Likewise I cannot produce and sell a Battlestar Galactica Viper MOC without
first seeking permission from Universal Studios since they own the copyrights to
the design of a Viper as well as the names Viper & Battlestar Galactica.

So if I create a spaceship MOC completely of original design I should own the
copyrights to that design (resulting visual appearence of the finished MOC)...
not the actual lego element combinations that were required to render that
design in Lego.  If I really wanted, I suppose I could try to patent those
element combinations.  However if anyone else is able to copy my original
design, I should still own the copyright to that design and be entitled to
royalties should they profit from it (even if they used different element
combinations to achieve their result)?

Again, I'm not a lawyer or anything... but that is my "common sense"
interpretation???

drc