 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16659
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:12:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lee Meyer wrote:
   I certainly wouldn’t expect anything less from you, Larry. I don’t think we’ve been on the same side of an issue more than once. You nicely overlook the “have you no shame” commment that really got my ire up. Judge jury and executioner all rolled up into one one that sentence.

I won’t overlook that comment. I agree with Kevin. I don’t think you have any shame. I think you look around Brickshelf and Lugnet and see cool creations and think “Hey I could make a few copies of that and make some money!”

   The fact is, I have adopted design techniques and made ships that have much in common with other peoples’ creations. I have credited some, some after they contacted me asking if I based a design on one of their ships. I just don’t think people are sitting around here waiting for credits when someone else uses a technique they use. Why are we all not crediting the guy/gal who first began SNOT every time we build a ship with SNOT techniques? How about the guy who first used wheels as engines?

Borrowing techniques is one thing. People do, as you mentioned, do it all the time. And on occasion they give credit for those techniques (especially if it is the design of a gun or an engine, etc.) But you take it a step further, your “sets” look like you tried your best to copy someone else’s MOC, taking out all the expensive or rare parts, in your color scheme and then you sell their design.

   It isn’t your place or anyone else’s place to question me and prejudge me if I have credited another’s design. It is my call, just like it’s your call if you do.

I’ll make that call, I’ll question you. Why don’t you make your own designs and sell those? Why do so many of your creations/sets look like copies of other’s work? Coping other’s designs for fun is flattering, coping other’s designs for profit is a slap in the face.

   If I don’t think it’s a big enough thing, I don’t believe I must credit someone else. We all have to determine what ‘big enough’ is. Nobody here owns a certain technique and technically, nobody here is required to credit anyone else, although I do think it is a nice thing to do. That’s why I did on my recent ship, and why I should have initially on the Delta Dart fighter.

You mention the Delta Dart fighter again, as if you are giving credit now. I don’t see any credit in the Bricklink listing. But, maybe you are refering to an email you sent. Let’s see what you said:

“yes, I did base this on a ship I saw out in brickshelf - I couldn’t tell you which persons’ - I often see many versions of similar ships by different people building their own slightly different versions (from your letter I am assuming it was yours). I modified the back part a little different, and with different engines, lasers and sides, but the overall shape and structure was from yours.”

Hmm, well good thing I had decided not to sell my TC-Fighters as a kit. Instead I’m giving the DAT file away.

Jason Spears | BrickCentral