 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16658
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 06:29:38 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lee Meyer wrote:
   I certainly wouldn’t expect anything less from you, Larry. I don’t think we’ve been on the same side of an issue more than once.

What do Larry’s opinions have to do with it?

   You nicely overlook the “have you no shame” commment that really got my ire up. Judge jury and executioner all rolled up into one one that sentence.

The fact is, I have adopted design techniques and made ships that have much in common with other peoples’ creations.

The *issue* is...

   I have credited some, some after they contacted me asking if I based a design
   on one of their ships.

Shouldn’t that tip you off as to how close to go before giving credit?

   I just don’t think

Very evident.

   people are sitting around here waiting for credits when someone else uses a technique they use. Why are we all not crediting the guy/gal who first began SNOT every time we build a ship with SNOT techniques? How about the guy who first used wheels as engines?

There’s a difference between, say, borrowing someone’s joint tech (like in mechas) and trying to copy their model as closely as possible then putting a copyright on an image of your version. Which is what you’re doing.

   It isn’t your place or anyone else’s place to question me and prejudge me if I have credited another’s design.

The thing is, there’s money involved. You are (ostensibly) making a profit off of spaceships that look a heck of a lot like other people’s. Have you considered how they feel about this?

   It is my call, just like it’s your call if you do. If I don’t think it’s a big enough thing, I don’t believe I must credit someone else. We all have to determine what ‘big enough’ is. Nobody here owns a certain technique and technically, nobody here is required to credit anyone else, although I do think it is a nice thing to do. That’s why I did on my recent ship, and why I should have initially on the Delta Dart fighter.

Well, you certainly don’t have any qualms with the “big enough” part. If you don’t feel bad about selling other people’s Lego designs without their consent or knowledge, you may as well crib off of cooler spaceships. If you’re gonna go all the way, why not make kits of Chris Giddens’ PCS HopLab or Daniel Jassim’s Nasal Avenger? How about anything from Kyle Vreize? All those are awesome, I wouldn’t mind buying kits of those. Even if they’d have a lackluster blue-and-dark-gray colorscheme.

   Your glib, sarcastic response about “Well how many ships have you copied, and I’ll estimate how many you need to credit” line really tells me what you’re all about. Thanks for being such a thoughtful person.

Lee

Well, you’ve got to decide what you’re all about. Are you going to play nice, or are you just in it for the money?

Smooches, Kevin Heckel