 Off-Topic / Debate / 26446
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:04:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   And here, someone once did a great spaceship looking like one of mine. As i said, I am sure it was a coincidence, but it was still very similar IMHO. It did annoy me a little, but since I felt it was even better than my own model and I didn’t think he did copy (maybe he never even saw mine before), I didn’t worry about it.

It is a totally different story with Lee however.

Terry
http://news.lugnet.com/space/?n=36186

Howdy, This is really interesting, takes me back to good old college days when we talked about plagerism. And begs the question where do we draw the line? Where does taking an idea and using it become plagerism. How far is that line. Please note, the answer may be different for everyone and really an answer may only reach finality in court.

In our first example Lee’s models are extremely close to those presented in Kevins first post. That is to say save detail elements tacked onto the sides there is very, very little variation between the Starfish Galactic Cruiser and the Discus. I see that landing gear is different, the Cruiser has an additonal plate in the center of the model, and has significantly less greebling than the Discus. IMO this is almost certainly plagerism.

Now comparing at Chris’ S.M.A.C and Terry’s Donkey I see stylisitic similarities but not plagerism. The two models appear to be different scales. The Donkey looks like a bigger ship to me. The SMAC looks like it has a significant break in the middle where the Donkey is a more solid, single hull style construction. Chris’ SMAC also uses many of the elements that he is known for with his PCS ships. However, I see stylistic similarties but I think they are different enough to say that perhaps Chris didn’t neccessarily use the Donkey as a point of referece to create the SMAC.

I run into this from time to time with mech builders. I’m kind of known for doing reverse knee mechs. I get folks say they don’t want to copy me. Well, there’s only so many ways a knee can bend backwards and people, from time to time, feel that they are copying my design when really I might have as well copied from FASA, who copied from..... so on so forth.
The root of it is in the intent I believe. If someone made a mech and it was a dead on copy of one of my own with slight changes to plate work and color, I’d probably say something. If they made money off it, I’d chase them down and collect. When people make mechs that are reverse knee and have weapons to kazoo, I tend egg them on.

Mark Neumann