 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16655
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.space
Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 04:34:06 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lee Meyer wrote:

   your note is condescending and frankly, I have nothing to answer to you for.

I think the main issue here is that you’re not giving credit where it’s due, although you’ve gotten better at it lately, not with the tone of Kevin’s note, or with the tone of your reply, although those certainly merit some examination.

   I credited Collin for his work. Not that its any of your business, but I did try to find contact info for Collin and couldn’t find it.

I also did contact Jason and told him I based my Delta Dart fighter on his ships (which vary in their designs as well).

AFTER it was noticed, I’d say, and definitely after Jason contacted you about it as I understand it.

   I find your general position of accusing me of “stealing” or building ships “that look like Lego ships” arrogant on your part. Everyone looks at other peoples’ designs and adopts certain elements and techniques they like into their own models.

Yep. People adopt certain elements and techniques. But most people, especially people who are selling their models and care about their reputation, don’t copy essentially 100% of the basic shape or construction of a model, and when they borrow elements, or even when they do copy closely, they are scrupulously careful to give credit IN ADVANCE where it is due, so that there is no confusion on the part of the buyer.

They don’t wait till they are prodded about it, or until it’s brought out publicly.

   Whether they are internal or external, if they are external, you’re going to see them. It’s not up to me to talk to you and get your blessing to do so. I’ll go to the source, I don’t know why you think I have to get your okay to do so.

You’re misinterpreting what Kevin said. He’s not saying you need HIS permission, he’s saying you need permission from the people you’re copying, or at least you need to give them explicit credit in your advertising, descriptive, and promotional materials. To do otherwise is to not be fair to the, true to yourself, or true to the hobby, in my view.

Yes, every model is influenced by what has gone before, yes we all take elements and ideas from others. But you seem to go farther, you seem to make direct copies, changing only a few things, and then passing them off to the unsuspecting as your own work, at least in some cases, at least until you are called on it. I think you do yourself a disservice when you do that.

I applaud the fact that you gave Collin credit this time. It’s a great start. You should continue this trend.

Why not go back through all your listings on BrickLink and give proper credit there too, seeking permission from the model originator first where appropriate, and withdrawing your model when it’s a direct copy and you don’t have permission from the originator for your copying it.

   I guess nobody else can build ships adapting design techniques they like from other people without getting your approval, huh Kevin? Or are you upset that I am also trying to sell the ships I make? I don’t know, maybe you will find fault with ALL forty some ships I offer.

How many of them are copies or adaptations of other people’s work? How many did you not secure permission in advance for? How many aren’t properly credited? Give us those numbers and I’ll predict how many Kevin will find fault with.

   Maybe they look too much like someone elses.

Everyone, please submit all your designs to Kevin before posting - he may want to chastise you before you post because your ship is too much like someone elses.

Again, sarcasm does not become you, and this misses the point. You may fault Kevin for being honest, if you like, where the other folks let it slide, or made more oblique reference to it, but your tone is the condescending one, I think, not his.

Taking this particular tone will not serve you well in the long run, in my view. It’s liable to turn off some of your customers as well as possibly some of your peers in the model sale or kit sale business, such as myself. It certainly will lose you respect from other modelers.

Unlike you, I don’t fault Kevin.

I instead admire him for having the courage to speak out on a difficult and uncomfortable topic, as well as admiring his skill at coming up with interesting and original models.

Hope that helps. I hope I can admire you for your skill at original models too, someday. But that day is not today. At least not based on what I have seen so far.