 Marketplace / Buy/Sell/Trade / 16654
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.space

Date:
Tue, 14 Dec 2004 03:58:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Kevin Blocksidge wrote:
   In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lee Meyer wrote:
   Lee Meyer Custom Set: Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft. 2 figures; 6 computers; cool symmetry, very sleek body style; lift windscreens for crew access; 2 huge engines; 2 lasers/2 missiles for covert ops. Based on Collin Harvey’s “Inlander” ship.

http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=lmeyer&itemID=3493526

Part of all December sales goes towards the Wisconsin House Rabbit Society (I’m a member) or HAWS (Waukesha’s Humane Society) bunny needs. So you’re not only doing something good for you (buying Lego) but you’re helping out bunnies who will make someone else very happy as a pet.

Lee

Hi.

Did you check with Collin before rampantly stealing his design for your own profit?

I mean, I like bunnies and all, but this doesn’t even appear to be the first time you’ve done this:

Tim Deering’s Discus --> Your Starfish Galactic Cruiser

Jason Spear’s TC-Fighters --> Your Delta Dart Fighter ( and it seems like he noticed )

It even looks like you are knocking off official LEGO sets: Set 1789 Star Hawk II --> Your Star Shark

Have you no shame?

Hi Kevin,

your note is condescending and frankly, I have nothing to answer to you for. I credited Collin for his work. Not that its any of your business, but I did try to find contact info for Collin and couldn’t find it.

I also did contact Jason and told him I based my Delta Dart fighter on his ships (which vary in their designs as well). As for the Star Shark, I had

decided to make a ship called “Star Hawk 2” using similar color schemes but updated new parts. That was the point, to make the design with the latest and greatest parts. I was using the “Star Hawk 2” to give credit/continuity to Lego’s ship and people warned me I should change the name because of legal concern, which I did. I had wanted people to make the connection between Lego’s ship and mine because I thought it was a good thing. The Discus is similar but different in many ways, too.

I find your general position of accusing me of “stealing” or building ships “that look like Lego ships” arrogant on your part. Everyone looks at other peoples’ designs and adopts certain elements and techniques they like into their own models. Whether they are internal or external, if they are external, you’re going to see them. It’s not up to me to talk to you and get your blessing to do so. I’ll go to the source, I don’t know why you think I have to get your okay to do so.

I guess nobody else can build ships adapting design techniques they like from other people without getting your approval, huh Kevin? Or are you upset that I am also trying to sell the ships I make? I don’t know, maybe you will find fault with ALL forty some ships I offer. Maybe they look too much like someone elses.

Everyone, please submit all your designs to Kevin before posting - he may want to chastise you before you post because your ship is too much like someone elses.