 Off-Topic / Debate / 26453
Re: Custom Space: Obsidian Stealth Strike Craft for sale - The Brickee Mart
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:48:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, Lee Meyer wrote:
   snip

   The fact is, I have adopted design techniques and made ships that have much in common with other peoples’ creations. I have credited some, some after they contacted me asking if I based a design on one of their ships. I just don’t think people are sitting around here waiting for credits when someone else uses a technique they use. Why are we all not crediting the guy/gal who first began SNOT every time we build a ship with SNOT techniques? How about the guy who first used wheels as engines?

Giving Lee the benefit of the doubt, it is clear he doesn’t understand the difference between copying someone’s construction techniques and copying someone else’s designs. Furthermore he does not understand the legal/moral differences between copying a design for personal use/appreciation vs. for profit.

Lee is trying to equate construction techniques such as SNOT or wheels-as-engines and copying someone-else’s spaceship design. I believe that this is clearly an incorrect interpretation. The way I see it, once posted, a particular construction technique becomes public domain. The only way that it wouldn’t is if the “discoverer” were to actually go through the trouble to patent that particular parts-combination or construction method, and I don’t know if that is actually possible.

When a person uses a set of lego elements and various construction techniques to create a MOC the end product’s outward appearence and structure could be considered a design. If the image/design of the end-product was an original creation of the person’s mind, that person would then own the intellectual-property rights to that design.

If another person created a design that closely mimic-ed the outward appearance and general structure of the first person’s original creation (even if internally the construction was quite unique) have they done anything wrong? Depends. If the copy is solely for the person’s own enjoyment to sit on their shelf or mantle, then probably not. If they post pictures of the copy on brickshelf then I believe the community generally agrees that the copier should give credit to the creator of the original (possibly with links to the original work). If they try to sell it as a kit or otherwise profit from it without prior permission of the creator of the orignal work then I believe they are in the wrong. The really tough part of all this is how closely does the copy have to mimic the original to be considered a copy vs. an original work in its own right?

If the creation of the first designer was not an original idea; instead, either a scale model of a “real-life” object or a fictional setting/vehicle not of the MOCer’s original design then MOC creator does not have IP rights. I am reminded of this argument over selling a GunStar MOC that closely mimic-ed a previous GunStar MOC. In this instance I believe that the seller would not have to obtain permission from the first MOC’s creator. Instead the seller would have to obtain the permission of the film company who created the movie “The Last Starfighter”, not unlike the way Lego had to obtain a license from Lucasfilm to produce and sell an X-wing set.

I’m not sure how it would work for “real-life” vehicles/objects. I would think that Lego had to obtain a license to produce the Ferrari sets, but would it be necessary to obtain a license from Boeing to produce and sell a B-52 kit?? This is where an IP lawyer would be useful.

The next extension to this question is when a person actually creates his/her own theme such as Chris Gidden’s PCS line or Mark Sandlin’s 3vil line. Most people here think it is pretty cool if someone else attempts to create and post a PCS or 3vil MOC. However if someone tries to sell a PCS or 3vil MOC I would say you would need permission from the theme’s creators first. For example, I have a SpacePoliceII MOC that is one of my original creations. I would have to obtain permission from Lego to sell it as a SPII MOC since Lego still owns the copyright to the SPII theme.

If Lee’s customs are base on original works of any other person/entity and are being sold with out the original creators’ permission then Lee is definitely in the wrong and should be educated/dealt with by bricklink admins accordingly.

It seems to me that bricklink should already have some clause about respecting IP rights & such when selling custom kits/instructions in their terms of use?? If not, they probably ought to.

just my opinions, drc