 Off-Topic / Debate / 18365
Re: Not embarassed to be a Canadian anymore...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 20:28:37 GMT

Gist is the aide handed in her resignation again, and this time JC accepted.

Quoteth from the article
"
Ducros apologized for her comment last week and offered to resign, but
Chrétien rejected her resignation at that time.

But in a letter of resignation to Chrétien today, Ducros wrote: "It is very
apparent to me that the controversy will make it impossible for me to do my
job."

Chrétien accepted the resignation, responding in a letter: "In your almost
four years as director of communications, you have served the government as
a whole, and me personally, with extraordinary skill and dedication.">"

Secondly, a more detailed retort from John in a previous post:

Quoteth John
"
I am not for silencing criticism, but I think that insults are not necessary.
How about *constuctive* criticism-- that's what I'd like.
"
and
"
Only that it was my whole point.  It was a cheap shot, and I was commenting on
how I am tired of cheap shots that are devoid of substance.
"

Well,

The aide was "speaking her mind" and the "devoidation of substance" is in
the eye of the beholder.  Her point, born out by the people she was speaking
with when the 'moron' word was overheard, quoted, and the media circus
ensued, was the same one that many other folks are making--that going after
anyone *not* OBL is moronic.  There is truth and substance to that point,
which makes her point neither a cheap shot, nor devoid of substance.

The term "moronic" is patently condescending, thus making it indeed a cheap
shot.  Further, you may not agree with this logic:

1) Sadam has or is developing WMD.

2) Sadam is sympathetic to terrorist organizations

3) OBL is the leader of a terrorist organization.

4) Therefore, it is certainly conceivable that Sadam could easily provide OBL
with WMD.

But that logic is hardly "moronic", and calling it so is ignorant.

Further, it takes a little bit of guts to speak against Dubya at this time
and I applaud her, being in a position of power, for doing so.

I also applaud her for taking the high road and resigning.

The high road?  Calling someone's idea "moronic" when you disagree with them
isn't on that route.

So John, thanks for responding to the actual criticism.

Since I gather you are being facetious, I'll say "you're welcome".

-John