 Off-Topic / Debate / 18369
Re: Carthage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:36:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Pedro Silva writes:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Erik Olson writes:
Read of the end of Carthage:
http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/polybius-punic3.html
Don't skip the last paragraph where Scipio compares Carthage to Troy.

One could compare it to a much more present situation :-)
(funny how History repeats itself over and over again)

Innumerable wars have ended with complete annihilation of the enemy.

Are you sure that so many wars ended that way? From my own experience, I
think it's a lot more common that the "losers" of one civilization will
eventually "melt" with the civilization which beat them.

That might be more common. Could ask the Statistics of Deadly Quarrels
research folks about the majority.

Fair enough :-)

So maybe not so many whole civilizations, but certainly city-states and
isolated population centers.  Philip II at Thebes.  Alexander at Persepolis.
It's hard to read a 4th or 3rd century BC history that doesn't feature the
selling into slavery of an entire minor city (after slaughtering and
looting.) Populations uprooted to fill up some tyrant's new capital.

That is true, although it does not tell us what happened to the slaves *in
time*: did their descendents eventually gain citizenship? Were they
assimilated? The city state, having been overrun, was it rebuilt? Did the
civilization to which it belonged outlive the city?

On a cheerier note, for the "Persistence of Antiquity" file, today's Wall
Street Journal mentions the Torre de Hercules lighthouse built by Romans in
the 2nd century north of La Coruña.

Oldest continuously operated lighthouse in Europe, AFAIK. Once I climbed to
the top and saw the whole of La Coruña's beautiful bay from above... it's a
pity now the whole perspective is *black* :-(
(I'm thinking of going to Galicia this weekend to help clean the beaches, if
weather permits)

Below that is an article on the
Pentathlon: "Advocates argue it is the [last] sport which hews to the
Olympic notion of testing a range of physical, mental, and emotional
capabilities. Replacing it with something more popular–the IOC commitee
recommended golf–would undermine that ideal.... The Greeks ran the games for
a thousand years, but when the Romans tried to make a circus of it, the
Games died."

I agree completely. Besides, I don't find any interest in watching golf... ;-)

(out of curiosity, the Tower and the games are separate articles, aren't they?)

Pedro